Effect of light on bottled beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOBTHEukBREWER

Reaction score
Last night I drank the last three pints of a brew that was bottled 5 months ago. They were stored on the floor of a spare bedroom which has an East facing window. They were in the open for 3 weeks then moved to the corner in the "shade" of my computer desk. One was in a dark brown swing top bottle and the other two were in clear glass bottles.

The dark bottle beer was the original pale colour and the taste was fresh. The other two were noticably darker and did not taste as good.

In future I shall use dark bottles where I can and cover the bottles to protect from light. I personally am surprised at the magnitude of the effect of light.

Clear bottles at sunligth will give a lor of "skunkiness" comercial or homebrew doesn´t make a difference use the darker bottles that you can find and store then in a dark place.

If I'm sitting on my deck in the evening with a glass of beer and it's sitting in direct sunlight it will skunk in a matter of minutes. Pretty impressive.

UV light rects with hopcompounds to form lightstruck compound or MBT. Colour maybe points to oxidation from high air content

Back