Inline oxygen stone question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike3701

Reaction score
To anyone using an inline oxygen stone. How do you use and santize the stone without have liquid go through the stone? I purchased the inline stone from morebeer to connect to my hard plumbed brew stand but when I did a water test, water was going through the stone and came out the other side. I know when I turn on the oxygen water will not pass through the stone. But I don't want to have the oxygen on the whole time.

If you're worrying about the actual, physical stone, it isn't an issue. In commercial breweries the stones get cleaned in the loops along with the heat exchanger. Usually between brews they will be packed with caustic, a cleaner like PBW or the brewery's choice of no rinse santi.

Mike3701 said:
How do you use and santize the stone without have liquid go through the stone?

Assuming you're concerned about sanitizer or wort moving up the tube towards the regulator, a check valve will work just fine.

But if you're literally concerned about sanitizer getting into the "inside" of the stone, don't be - if anything, it's a good thing. Just give it a really short blast of oxygen when you're done to push most of it back out.

Back