Capital Kolsch - Calling D.C. Brewers!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beesy

Reaction score
So I had this the past summer during a 5-day stay in D.C. and must say one of the best Kolsch's (calling it kolsch even through not region appropriate!!) I've had. I found myself at the brewpub two nights in a row. Their site states 10% wheat malt and not much else, so i am guessing ~ 90% conti pilsner and ~10% wheat with some Hallertauer or Saaz for ~25 IBU with a 60 minute only addition and a Kolsch yeast. Seems to follow Jamils's broadcast minus the Munich or Vienna. I think I'm going to do 7.50 German Pilsner, .83 wheat malt at 77%eff with a 50 min mash at 150 with a 65min boil with 2oz Hallertauer 3.5aa at 60min. I will do at least .5g Wyeast Kolsch stater with primary probably at ~60 for 10 ten days, slowly bring to 65 over three additional days to allow complete fermentation, then cool down to ~36 for lager for ~8-10 weeks. Shoot for og of 1.046 and fv of 1.10 giving ~ 4.6% abv. Comments or critique to get close to Cap City Kolsch? :rockin: --B

Back