I haven't worked in 917 days...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrinksWellWithOthers

Reaction score
Yep that's right.. 917 days. I hurt my back right after college at work, lost a job I had lined up, went through hell with Workers Comp and settled my case last fall. Since then I applied for about 200 jobs in the past 6 months without any luck.

And FINALLY I caught a break today! I got a job offer working in inventory management in the healthcare industry. Its only part-time and not where I imagined myself at this point in my life but it pays decently and I get medical and dental and paid vacation, holidays, etc. My new boss seems like a great guy and it sounds like a good company to work for with lots of opportunities for moving up.

So tonight, raise a pint with me in celebration for the drought is over and I'm able to move on! I'll be celebrating at the East Ave Cafe in RI with my brother where there's going to be a Sierra Nevada promotion night. :rockin:

Congrats! I've been out of work for 6 months now and get more discouraged every day. Glad to hear someone had some good news for a change.
Now don't drink too much and hurt that back again! :mug:

Congrats! I too have been off for awhile. It's coming up to five months for me. I do have an interview on Wednesday, but I am not getting my hopes up.

Yep that's right.. 917 days. I hurt my back right after college at work, lost a job I had lined up, went through hell with Workers Comp and settled my case last fall. Since then I applied for about 200 jobs in the past 6 months without any luck.

And FINALLY I caught a break today! I got a job offer working in inventory management in the healthcare industry. Its only part-time and not where I imagined myself at this point in my life but it pays decently and I get medical and dental and paid vacation, holidays, etc. My new boss seems like a great guy and it sounds like a good company to work for with lots of opportunities for moving up.

So tonight, raise a pint with me in celebration for the drought is over and I'm able to move on! I'll be celebrating at the East Ave Cafe in RI with my brother where there's going to be a Sierra Nevada promotion night. :rockin:

get a supply chain degree, i'm 7 classes away from mine. supply chain is crucial no matter the economy.

Congrats!! Its great to see someone like yourself that has the persistence to keep applying and not giving up. It may not be the job you wanted but its a step in the right direction that may lead you to opportunities you haven't thought of yet. I'll toss back a pint of Apfelwein for you tonight.

congrats on the job. hope it turns into perm. for those who are looking keep at it. youll find something. have faith and keep a smile on your face and your spirits up. i know its hard but just realize there is something for everyone

I found out a long time ago...find a job you like and you'll never have to work a day in your life...

I've heard that, but so far I haven't been able to convince anyone to let me be a hiking boot tester, or to give me my own fishing show............:confused:

Besides, if I liked my job, I wouldn't have anything to ***** about !!!

Thanks for the kind words guys.

To those of you in the job hunt, I know it can be tough and I found myself getting discouraged a lot as well. Not getting jobs that I was over qualified was a blow to my self esteem. I always hated hearing it from people, but you really need to stay positive and keep your head up.

I think there's only one positive thing that has come from this whole ordeal and its the fact that I learned how to brew my own beer. I needed a new hobby to keep from going stir crazy and brewing provided an outlet that let me forget about my back and Workers Comp and do something constructive and feel accomplished. Plus I got to meet lots of great people at my LHBS, meet local people from HBT, and join a homebrew club.

Oh and the East Ave Cafe was a blast tonight. Sierra Nevada + 25 cent wings = :ban:

That's great to hear. I've been out for 7 months and have been amazed at some of the jobs that I didn't get. I'm either overqualified or not enough experience in whatever particular field. I have been able to brew a lot more than I ever could before - same reason - I can't sit on the couch all day. As I sift through the job boards, I feel like I don't even know what I want to do anymore. Full-time fluffer for Tera Patrick is taken.

Back