How long for yeast to take off using stir plate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeufelBrew

Reaction score
I made my nice simple stir plate and put about 900ml of 1.052 SG wort in a 1liter flask. Added my WLP380 Hefeweizen IV Ale yeast and started it up around noon yesterday. This morning, no happy bubbling from my poor yeast!

Is this a RDWHAHB morning (which would REALLY piss of SWMBO) or are their other things I might look into?

All that matters is that when you atop it and wait a bit, that you get a band of creamy yeast on the bottom...I've only had the remnants of one noticeable krausen on a spinning flask...other times I've stopped the stirplate and a few hours later I've had krausen...other times I've had what appeared to be no action, and pitched and everything was fine..just like no two beer fermentations is ever the same, no two Starters ferment the same...

Just gotta trust that IF you sanitized properly, cooled you starter wort, and aerated it with your stirplate...that the yeast know what to do...

I always just check for flocculation...If I have yeastes on the bottom, then it's fine.

Wort was from extra on previous batch, frozen in 22oz bottles. Flask, Bottle tops and caps, yeast vial all sanitized with Starsan from spray bottle. Flask capped with sanitized aluminum foil.

I've stopped the stir plate and waiting to see what drops out. There is some grist material, I'm hoping for lots of yeast as well. That way I can brew today!!!

Brew is ON! Nice gathering of yeast on the bottom of the flask!

I'm seeing some small amounts of white foam. I did everything right so it's a RDWHAHB lesson. I figure since the CO2 can escape freely and the wort is spinning it may be too much agitation for the foam to accumulate anyways.

I'm seeing some small amounts of white foam. I did everything right so it's a RDWHAHB lesson. I figure since the CO2 can escape freely and the wort is spinning it may be too much agitation for the foam to accumulate anyways.

That's it! Also, when you stop the stir plate and wait for the wort to stop swirling if you look closely right near the surface you can usually see some small CO2 bubbles. Using a flashlight can sometimes make them easier to see. The wort will usually change to a somewhat lighter color as the yeast propagate. Take care with your sanitation and the chance of something going wrong with the starter are slim.

Often, if you look very closely, you can see very tiny bubbles rising to the surface. Krausen is rare in my experience. I always check the SG of the wort before I pitch, but they always take off pretty fast in my experience of maybe ten starters. Your are pitching a lot of yeast into a small volume of wort.

I've never seen a big krausen before on a starter except for this evening when I got home and my 12 hour old starter with WLP400 in it was foaming itself out of the flask! First time I've seen that.

Back