thin film in primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrakich87

Reaction score
My IPA (brewed Oct. 15th) fermented vigorously for about 5 days, then krausen died down and fell out, leaving a smooth surface. At day 10 in the primary, I popped it open to take a hydrometer reading, and there was this thin film covering the entire surface. No hairy things, no discolorations, no bubbles... just a thin film that I ended up breaking when I took my sample. I threw in an oz of cascades (day 10) and hoped it wasn't an infection or that the hops would help stem its growth. Now (4 days after dry hop addition), I popped the lid open to find a sort of mini-krausen: there are bubbles pooled on the surface, not intensely, but covering the majority of it. I can see hop pellet particles and what looks to be small brown clumps of yeast on the bubbles too... but this seems to be normal. I can't see or detect the film at all anymore.

Questions...

1. Could the film have been an infection that was just overcome by the alcohol? I've heard this can happen. The hydrometer sample I took didn't taste sour or anything.

2. The SG is at 1.014, and it was supposed to finish at 1.016. Does this indicate anything bad? The OG was a tad below target, so that could account for the discrepancy.

3. Could I have just shocked the yeast earlier somehow and now they're popping back up to finish? I thought this at first but the lower SG and the earlier-occurring film are making me think it's an infection? The sample I tasted today was great, should I think about getting it out of that Ale Pale while it tastes good and into a Better Bottle? Or just leave it and see if the SG drops any more? I was going to bottle in 5 or 6 days (I hear dry hops can impart grassy notes after 10 days), but now I'm worried about doing it prematurely? Help!

update: the temp went up 2 degrees (68 to 70) despite ambient dropping a few degrees and the lid is being pushed up by positive pressure... indicating regular fermentation?

Back