Who has entered the Longshot contest before?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronjer

Reaction score
Just curious. I am going to enter it for kind of a barometer of what my homebrew is coming out like. It may be too big of a contest for that, but what the hell, it'll be fun. Last year it was something like 1900 beers entered, so I'd like to see mine come in the top 500 or so. But that may even be dreaning :D . I just don't know as I don't try too many home brews other than my own.

Carpe Brew

Soulive said:
P.S. - the recipes they did brew this year are horrible. Just my opinion...

The guy in my brew club won the longshot this year. It's his wiezenbock that's in there. It's not bad for a bock, but I just don't care for bock beers myself. Although, he did say that their spot on for his recipe.

I didn't try the grape one.

Soulive said:
P.S. - the recipes they did brew this year are horrible. Just my opinion...

Not horrible... just very unique. I agree they could be better, though.

Greg

Sir Humpsalot said:
When are the beers usually released to the public? I meant to find them last year, but never saw them in the stores...

They're out now ... last couple of weeks.

srm775 said:
The guy in my brew club won the longshot this year.

aaah, beat me to it. I remember him as a really nice guy, and the club is really cool too. I've only been once, but I think I'll go again this week. The picture on the bottle is spot on.

I didn't like the grape one at all, but the weizenbock is nice.

I don't think I'll enter for a long while, plus, competing isn't in my blood. Scares the crap out of me.

I heard that the girl who made the Grape Ale had nice ta-tas, though... ;)

It's too bad that Sammy couldn't put out McDole's quasi-Pliny clone, that was a kick-ass beer from all accounts - just not the right year for an Imperial IPA to win! I haven't seen the Longshot brews out yet, I'll have to double-check again. I'm interested in the weizenbock in large part to compare to another weizenbock that I sampled and found to be undrinkably, sickly sweet. I'm not sure if the style is supposed to be anywhere close to that sweet, or whether this particular brewer just can't attenuate things for sh*t.

EDIT: I think this is her... this is from 2007, so it must be...

gabf07_longshotemployees.JPG

LongShot employee finalists pour their beers at the Samuel Adams brunch
L-R: Lili Hess, Mike Cramer and Scott Cook.

the_bird said:
I heard that the girl who made the Grape Ale had nice ta-tas, though... ;)

It's too bad that Sammy couldn't put out McDole's quasi-Pliny clone, that was a kick-ass beer from all accounts - just not the right year for an Imperial IPA to win! I haven't seen the Longshot brews out yet, I'll have to double-check again. I'm interested in the weizenbock in large part to compare to another weizenbock that I sampled and found to be undrinkably, sickly sweet. I'm not sure if the style is supposed to be anywhere close to that sweet, or whether this particular brewer just can't attenuate things for sh*t.

EDIT: I think this is her... this is from 2007, so it must be...

Yes, it is extremely sweet, but I've found most bock, especially double-bocks, to be extremely sweet. Like I said, the weizenbock is a good bock, I just really don't care for most bocks.

Crazytwoknobs said:
aaah, beat me to it. I remember him as a really nice guy, and the club is really cool too. I've only been once, but I think I'll go again this week. The picture on the bottle is spot on.

I think a couple other guys from the board might be going as well.

I just printed out the entry rules and bottle labels. I am going to make a new batch of Rasberry Honey Porter because you have to have 8 12 oz. bottles. Four have to be sent in and four more saved for later. I have a great batch of this, but most of it is in 22 oz. bottles. I was going to make a new batch this weekend anyway. I will post the recipe when I find out the name of one of the grains I used from the LHBS. What is Caro 3?

mrk305 said:
I just printed out the entry rules and bottle labels. I am going to make a new batch of Rasberry Honey Porter because you have to have 8 12 oz. bottles. Four have to be sent in and four more saved for later. I have a great batch of this, but most of it is in 22 oz. bottles. I was going to make a new batch this weekend anyway. I will post the recipe when I find out the name of one of the grains I used from the LHBS. What is Caro 3?

I'm assuming you are referring to Carafa (or Cara) III. It's a dehusked, high SRM grain to impart color without the roastiness usually associated with roasted barley and black patent.

drsocc said:
Why can't the OG be above 1.06 or whatever it is?

Because it's not cost-effective for SA to be brewing 10% RISs or barleywines. They've done this in the past (with the 2006 Old Ale) and I'm sure that most of the average consumers will scoff at a $10-12 six pack.

If that is the case, then why do they allow lagers to have a higher OG

From the Rules

"Lager:

· OG Range: 11.8 – 20 ºP (1.044 -1.090)

· Fermentation Temperature: 53 - 60ºF

Ale:

· OG Range: 11.8 – 16.5 ºP (1.044 -1.068)

· Fermentation Temperature: 65 - 70 ºF

"

Back