Dark Mild Marley's Mild - 1st Place English Ale - Fermentationland Homebrew Competition (AHA)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cider123

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1469 (West Yorkshire)
Yeast Starter
yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
light brown
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days @ 66F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
nope
Tasting Notes
Mild malty flavor with lots of nuttiness. Great session ale
Ingredients
Grains
6 lbs Maris Otter 82.7%
8 oz Brown malt 7%
8 oz Victory malt 7%
4 oz Pale chocolate malt 3.3%

Hops
1 oz Fuggles @ 60 min AA 4.3%

Other
.5 tab Whirlfloc at 10 min

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.038 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.038 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 3.3% Actual Alcohol by Vol: 3.6 %
Bitterness: 16 IBU

I use the BIAB method and mashed this at 153F for 90 minutes. I also used a half tab of Whirlfloc at 10 min left in the boil and added gelatin after chilling in the keg.

This mild won 1st place in the English beer category at the 2014 Fermentationland Homebrew Competition in Central Maine. It was one of my first entries in a competition.

This beer comes out nice and clear with a moderate brown/ruby color. The best characteristics are the nutty finish and the fact that you can easily drink down a few pints as a session ale.

Looks delicious! What would be some suitable substitution for hop varieties in this brown ale recipe? I have several types that I need to use as they are aging...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I imagine you could use most english hop varieties. The hops is only added at the 60 min mark as a slight bittering effect to counter the maltiness. There is no real hops flavor or aroma, which is typical for milds. So if you have some EKG or Challenger or even some Williamette.

Enjoy

Put this on my new nitro tap with beergas for the first time. Came out great. Very reminiscent of a cask-conditioned ale. You can drink a bunch of these, I'll tell you what.

I've added a pound of some medium crystal to this recipe to give it a more sweet and/or malty flavor... But then it comes out like any other low abv brown ale. How often do you see a mild ale recipe without any crystal or invert sugar? Come on, give it a try.

I think its the nutty flavor and simplicity that makes this ale special (to me anyway).

Brewed up a ten gallon batch and added 8 oz of black to darken it up and add a slight roast to it. Used 2 oz of Cluster at 90 and 1 oz EKG at flameout.
Split the batch and fermented on 1099 and 1469 respectively.
Both are tasting excellent and this is probably one of the best milds I've done.

Back