Few quesitons about the secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cauldron7

Reaction score
Is a 6 Gallon carboy too big to use as a secondary? Its my first time using one (my first two brews, I only used a Primary), and there seems to be an awful lot of headspace. There are also bunch of white specs floating on the top that resemble mold. I know everything was sanitized well before i racked. any thoughs other than RDWHAHB? :mug:

5 is better, but 6 is fine for secondary. The white specs are almost surely some yeastie clumps, they'll settle after a week or so in the secondary. Sounds like you are fine!

Kayos said:
5 is better, but 6 is fine for secondary. The white specs are almost surely some yeastie clumps, they'll settle after a week or so in the secondary. Sounds like you are fine!

Ah that's good to know, I had the same thing for the first time on my last beer and were afraid that they were mold. Bottled the beer anyway of course :)

Back