Soda

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsonbrew

Reaction score
I am reading on here that guys have a dedicated set up in there kegerators for soda, is this because they make a lot of it and always have it on hand or because its a pain in the ass to clean kegs and lines that had soda running through them?

For me, it's to give me some killer ginger ale or rootbeer in between beers. It's also excellent for the kids and wife.

Do keep in mind rootbeer hoses and seals should be kept isolated - cleaning will not suffice.

Even if i rarely do soda? i am only planning on doing it once a year fir my daughters birthday party. by the way, how often do you change hoses and stuff in your kegerator

If you are referring to the rootbeer hoses and seals YES!

The rootbeer will completely flavor any beer you run through it, believe me. Ginger ale, orange and lemon-lime sodas seem to clean out of the hoses and seals with soaking. Run rootbeer once, and they should only be used for rootbeer.

Will the rootbeer also flavor other sodas? Such as a cream soda or a cherry cola? Or will a good cleaning mask it?

Will the rootbeer also flavor other sodas? Such as a cream soda or a cherry cola? Or will a good cleaning mask it?

As I said, cleaning will NOT mask it - I used a rootbeer line to serve a huge imperial stout - it still tasted of rootbeer. This was after 10 days of soaking in Oxyclean and PBW, then 2 days in Starsan. I scrubbed the hell out of it with a line brush, too. Finally I just did the right thing and spent a couple of bucks and quarantined the lines and seals.

Do NOT use a rootbeer hose or seals for ANYTHING but rootbeer.

If you don't believe me, I really don't care. Go ahead and use it for other beverages. I am just trying to save you from posted a thread titled "my blonde ale tastes like rootbeer" :)

Oh, I definitely believe you. But like you said you were trying it with beer. I was hoping you had experience with another heavier soda. That's all.

Back