Is my malting process okay? White stuff on Barley.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

x2n2005

Reaction score
Right after cleaning the grain, I soaked the grain in water for 6hrs and let the it rest for 8hrs for 2days but, during the last part of the steeping I had it soaked for maybe 8hrs. and a half or 9hrs. and a half (this is where I think I messed up).

Now I am at the part where I germinate and have two containers for that process which is a wooden drawer and a clay terracotta pot (I stir the grains a couple of hours now and then). During the first day of germination, it kinda smelled like a mild sour fermenting fruit in both containers and hours after that, it kinda smelled buttery still in both containers. The second day, the barley in the claypot kind of smelled sourer compared to the grains in the wooden drawer which smelled sweeter.

Now the smell kind of mellowed down for both containers but, now the wooden drawer filled with barley got this white stuff around it. I posted a picture of it.
The claypot's barley just got this sticky feel and starting to smell like puke now.

Anyone got thoughts about this? I am sorry about my English grammar.

This is my first time trying to malt. :)

IMG_0029.jpg

Back