Advice for a growing my home brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTate37

Reaction score
I've been brewing for a couple of months now and am pretty certain that this is something that I want to do as much as possible for as long as I can. Knowing that, I'm looking to expand my equipment in a logical way that will keep me from buying pieces that will be useless to me in a year or a few years.

So far I've done partial boil extract kits/recipes and a couple of BIAB one gallon recipes. I want to start doing full boils for five gallon batches, and know that I'll go all-grain at some point, but not for a little while.

We are hosting Thanksgiving this year and have decided to fry a turkey. Good news for me because we now need a burner and a larger kettle. I only have a four gallon pot and a two gallon pot currently.

So what size kettle should I buy? I'm thinking 7.5 to 8 gallons should be good for five gallon batches. Is there any need for anything larger considering that I'll move to all-grain at some point? I don't see myself doing ten gallon batches at any time.

As far as the burner goes, I'm thinking Bayou Classic right now. As sweet as the Blichmann looks, I can't see me frying a turkey on something that nice. I wouldn't want to get grease all over it. If I ever get to a tiered system with multiple burners then a Blichmann will definitely be in order.

An 8 gallon BK should be just fine. And an extra LP tank just in case you run out during a boil.

definitely extra propane tank. i ran out once. never again.

8 gallon kettle is plenty for most 5gal batches. might consider a good cooler for when you move to all-grain.

I would say at least eight gallon and I would look for a good stainless pot with a thick bottom for even heat.
Now that you've made it this far, you are probably going to be continuously shopping for a long time.
I just ordered an o2 system and I'm keeping my eye out for some kegs to make bigger pots out of.
Going to have a grain mill pretty soon too.
No more buying 2 or 3 batches of beer worth of milled grain when I get to the city.
Fresh milled everytime after that.

I would also say that I would shop for a hotter burner than the turkey fryer typically comes with.
Mine is 188,000 BTU. You would be fine with a turkey fryer burner but being able to crank it up more get your water temperature faster.

Keep in mind that, at some point, you may come across a recipe that will call for a 90 or 120 minute boil (say, something wil a large % of pilsner malt, or something where you want to get a little carmelization going on). 8 gallons might not quite do the job, in that case. If you can make it fit your budget, you'll never regret going with a 10 gallon kettle.

As an alternative, you can always stick with the 7-8 gallon and, when you are ready to go all grain, make that your HLT and then go with a larger brew kettle if you find the 7-8 gallon kettle limiting.

Absolutely agreed on the extra propane tank! I'm considering a third, mostly so I can hook up a blower heater in the garage in the winter!

Keep in mind that, at some point, you may come across a recipe that will call for a 90 or 120 minute boil (say, something wil a large % of pilsner malt, or something where you want to get a little carmelization going on). 8 gallons might not quite do the job, in that case. If you can make it fit your budget, you'll never regret going with a 10 gallon kettle.

+1

A couple other things that are personal preference for me - I hate having to watch the brew kettle like a hawk for boilovers. I also want to get full kegs of finished beer, and I do a lot of brews with big hop additions which sucks up a lot of wort. To get 5 or 10 gallons in the keg finished I always tailor the recipe to a higher end boil volume. For these reasons I like to go with bigger kettles. I also think if you decide to stick with BIAB you will appreciate the extra room.

I have a 10 gallon pot and am happy that I went with it. Just so I don't ever have to buy another one. I'm never going to be a 10 gallon or 15 gallon a batch guy, I will never need that capacity. You can probably get them ported at your LHBS or just buy one already done. Make sure the thermometer, if you get one, is lower than halfway up, because if you're doing 5 gallon batches, it'll stick out of the water.

For your burner, I'd suggest getting the circular bayou classic burner, the one with the little holes in the top. It's seen in the Bayou Classic SQ14. It is a much better burner than the little one without holes.

Are you a DIY guy? Check out the homemade cooler thread and get started on that. Best investment I've made for 50 bucks. Here's the link to that thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/cheap-easy-10-gallon-rubbermaid-mlt-conversion-23008/ It's easy and it works great.

Extra propane tank sure.

Sorry I just can't buy into the 8 gallon pot. I do 5 gallon batches in a 9 gallon pot from homebrewing.org and I wish it was bigger. The challenge is getting 5 gallons into a keg, not 4 not 4.5. That means you have to get 5.25 gallons into the fermenter, and accounting for kettle losses and boiloff that means (depending upon your setup) 6 to 6.25 gallon recipes to start with. That means you could easily be at 7.5 gallons to start the boil. I started off with 8 gallons the other day. Fermcap is your friend in preventing boilovers, but extra room in the kettle would be better.

I say go with 10 gallon kettle minimum for 5 gallon batches.

I have a 9gal kettle which I like but I kinda wish I have a 10 to 12 for those 90min boils. I think 10 would be perfect but mine works pretty well on its own.

Go at least 10 gallons for a kettle. I started in March of this year and I bought a very nice 8 gallon kettle. After two full boils, I found a keg and made a keggle. I now have a very nice ($$) 8 gallon pot sitting on a shelf.

Go big or go home!

I'm getting into AG and was wondering... If you have a 7.5 gal BK and your post-boil wort is less than 5 gal, would adding water to the fermenter (like in extract brewing) work out okay?

If the total gravity is accounted for. My pm kit accounted for the biab being a partial boil as well. Worked out really well. OG range was 1.042-1.046,I got 1.044. FG range was 1.010-1.012. Got FG 1.012 with a mash temp of about 156F. I mashed 5lbs in 1.5 gallons od water & sparged with another 1.5 gallons to get those numbers. Hope this helps a little...

I've been looking around at kettle pots and I can only find 36 quart locally and for a reasonable price. To add another 4 quarts it makes the price jump about $100. Also I'm looking at aluminum instead of stainless. Stainless is triple the price and I don't see any reason to use it other than starsan can go directly in the pot.

From my canning experience, I use vinegar and boils to clean oxidation.

So would it be ok to use 36 quarts for an all grain setup instead of 40?

Go with a ten gallon SS, for the extra capacity, you can convert it to a HLT later if you want to step up your BK and go to a 3V system. i feel like the only port you need in it to start is ball valve close to the bottom (I'm in the same position you are, planning and growing my system). I feel like all other Ports just make for more cleaning. You can always drill more holes if you think you need them later.

Maybe think about a plate chiller, if you get a BK like that.

I started in January and I was doing 1 gallon batches. Now I am doing 5 Gallons and I am using my neighbors Turkey Fryer. I just ordered my own Burner and Pot from Amazon

A 44QT SS pot and buner for $128 is not to shabby.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am using an 8 gallon stainless, happy with it but I havent done an all grain yet. Many people use aluminum and are fine with it. It takes less heat input to get your wort boiling, better heat transfer. Harder to clean properly, easier scratching, less money. You could start boiling your AG wort, add the rest when it fits. Probly affect efficiency a bit.

You asked the question about the size of the kettle, and about five different people told you 10 gallons. If you want to ignore that fine, but why post the question?

Sorry I just can't buy into the 8 gallon pot. I do 5 gallon batches in a 9 gallon pot from homebrewing.org and I wish it was bigger. The challenge is getting 5 gallons into a keg, not 4 not 4.5. That means you have to get 5.25 gallons into the fermenter, and accounting for kettle losses and boiloff that means (depending upon your setup) 6 to 6.25 gallon recipes to start with. That means you could easily be at 7.5 gallons to start the boil. I started off with 8 gallons the other day. Fermcap is your friend in preventing boilovers, but extra room in the kettle would be better.

I say go with 10 gallon kettle minimum for 5 gallon batches.

Just dont boil so hard? You just need a nice rolling boil, not Mt Vesuvius blowing up in your pot like some people here do.

Definitely 10 gallon for boiling 5 gallon batches. I always shoot for 5.5 to 6 gallons after the boil, so I need at least 7 gallons minimum. Wouldn't want to do that in an 8 gallon pot. Besides, if you ever do decide to go to 10 gallon batches, you could switch the pot to your MLT.

Regarding burners, I spent the $$$ and bought the Blichmann with the leg extensions. I have knocked off a good 15-20 minutes off my brew day and I can hear myself think during the boil--the sucker is QUIET.

I have 3 propane tanks...remember, he who dies with the most brew toys wins!!!!

I'll have to wait on the AG setup for 10 gallons. Don't quite have a budget for all that metal yet. But I'm hopeful that I can have it soon.

Had my first glass of honey cream ale today. It cost me $280. It was the single most expensive beer I've ever drank. At least the rest of them are free! :0)

EDIT: Just found 2 42 Quart aluminum pots with lids and strainers for $100 + tax locally. So my show is back on the road!

FuzzeWuzze said:
Just dont boil so hard? You just need a nice rolling boil, not Mt Vesuvius blowing up in your pot like some people here do.

Depends on your burner and your kettle dimensions, low boil I lose 1 gallon, high boil 1.5 gallons, and that's just for a 60 minute boil. And I don't have a banjo burner.

I am not the only person recommending a 10 gallon kettle in this thread.

I "ended up" going bigger because 5 gallons isn't as worth it as making 10 gallons in the same amount of time.!!!!! hahaha My pipeline is ahead of me now and if I were only doing 5 gallon batches I would be IN A HURRY to brew every other weekend instead of WANTING TO BREW every other weekend like I am now. I have found personally, and read here also, that all-grain adds about an extra hour to your brew day. Moving to 10 gallons was an easy choice for me.

I'm ok with doing 5 gallon partial mashes. My main concern was the cost vs quality. And making sure I chose the right equipment to start with. I'll admit I'm still learning a lot about it so I have a lot of newb questions still.

Thanks for the help on this thread!

I'm sure it's no problem at all for everyone here. I'm a relative noob myself, and if I think I can help I try. Those others that no WAY WAY more than me like helping as well.

Still, GOOD LUCK TO YA!

From my canning experience, I use vinegar and boils to clean oxidation.

Not quite sure what you're getting at here, but make sure you're not attempting to clean away the oxidation layer on an aluminum kettle you plan to use for brewing beer! Canning is one thing, since the water you're boiling in, ostensibly, doesn't contact any food items. But you're making beer here - you WANT that oxidation layer intact to provide a buffer between the aluminum and your wort.

Thanks for all the input everyone! Lots of great points were made. I hadn't even thought of the extra water needed for a 90 or 120 minute boil. Sounds like 10 gallon is going to be the best way to go. Now to find one at a price point SWMBO agrees with.

Thanks for all the input everyone! Lots of great points were made. I hadn't even thought of the extra water needed for a 90 or 120 minute boil. Sounds like 10 gallon is going to be the best way to go. Now to find one at a price point SWMBO agrees with.

Cheap cooler, a LEGALLY purchased half-barrel keg and a 100,000+ burner is almost all I needed to go 10 gallon all-grain. You'll end up "upgrading" here and there, but it will get you going.

Again, GOOD LUCK!

Hackwood said:
Cheap cooler, a LEGALLY purchased half-barrel keg and a 100,000+ burner is almost all I needed to go 10 gallon all-grain. You'll end up "upgrading" here and there, but it will get you going.

Again, GOOD LUCK!

That's not bad. I've just gotta do it in baby steps. SWMBO actually had a big part in encouraging me to get started, and I think she's a little surprised at how much I like it and how much stuff I've already bought.

Mine is the same. She thought about for years, getting me a Mr. Beer kit and when I finally made the jump she was surprised. Brags to her friends that I have a hobby/addiction that I REALLY love.

Hackwood said:
Mine is the same. She thought about for years, getting me a Mr. Beer kit and when I finally made the jump she was surprised. Brags to her friends that I have a hobby/addiction that I REALLY love.

Yeah...mine usually brings it up to friends before I do. Told me that she was telling some coworkers about my recent stir plate build.

Back