This won't seal air tight. Will it work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LTownLiquorPig

Reaction score
This is the bucket I can get from my Brew Store (small town pharmacy, lets be honest). The lid doesn't have that rubber gasket that some of the other buckets I've seen have. Should I be worried about using it? What about and airlock?

Thanks!

ClearBrewBucket.jpg

ClearBrewLid.jpg

You really don't need an airtight seal on your fermenter. The co2 coming out of there would protect your beer. In fact many folks with arthitis and other issues don't snap the lid down on their buckets anyway, and may folks just put tinfoil, plastic wrap, metal cookie sheets or even plexiglass sheets on top of the bucket instead. It's really not crucial to be tight. The bad stuff are not ninja acrobats, they really can't get into stuff. The co2 coming out will prevent anything getting in.

In fact you don't want a "pressurized" bucket, if you have one, then at some point you will end up with a ceiling full of beer. I've had that happen when the vent (airlock) gets blocked by a freak hop cone, and it wasn't pretty.

I have heard of guys using buckets with nothing but a piece of cellophane on top to allow the CO2 to exit while keeping nasties out so I guess you could simply set the lid on top and without sealing the edges and be OK. Don't seal it or it will end up blown off into your ceiling!

That's why it doesn't have an airlock....the lid isn't meant to seal tight...that acts as your airlock. An airlock is nothing more than a valve to keep the lid from blowing off and painting your ceiling with your beer.

The bad stuff are not ninja acrobats, they really can't get into stuff. The co2 coming out will prevent anything getting in.

The airlock is one of the most superfluous things in brewing, that new brewers seem to put the most stock in. It's not a magic fermentation gauge, it's a vent, a valve to release excess co2...which in an unsealing fermenter, it doesn't need to...

Thanks guys. I searched and read a couple threads on this issue, but I couldn't shake the "this bucket is probably for wine, is it going to screw up my beer" thought out of my head. What is it the kids are saying, #First World Problems:D

I would just order some ingredients online and include a bucket and a lid in my order along with any other items you may need. My goto sites are Morebeer.com and northernbrewer.com. I have been leaning more toward Northern Brewer bc their flat rate shipping gets to me in FL pretty quick and I love BrewingTV on Northern Brewer's site!!!! All For Brew, Brew For All!!! :mug:

I would just order some ingredients online and include a bucket and a lid in my order along with any other items you may need. My goto sites are Morebeer.com and northernbrewer.com. I have been leaning more toward Northern Brewer bc their flat rate shipping gets to me in FL pretty quick and I love BrewingTV on Northern Brewer's site!!!! All For Brew, Brew For All!!! :mug:

Why? We just got finished saying, there's absolutely no reason he needs a bucket that seals or has an airlock. He can make beer just fine in it....

There are quite a few starter kits that come with just such a type of fermenter.

Shipping in Canada is ridiculous. About all I've found that would be cost effective is dry yeast and small amounts of hops, if they will ship small enough to fit through the plexiglass envelope thickness gauge Canada Post uses.

I'd RDWDHB more often to get over these noob worries, but I'm running out of home brew..... So i need more fermenters!

How are things down the road in Lawrencetown? Think we'll see any Winter this year?

I have a couple of those buckets and they have served me well over the years. No issues with the lid whether you snap it closed or not. I generally don't even seal it. I'll just rest the lid on top and put something heavy on it to keep the cat from knocking it off.

If you do ever decide you want a lid you can plug an airlock into they sell them predrilled at Noble Grape. It's a sturdier bucket. The one you have there is a little flimsier and the lid doesn't take a hole saw or a spade bit too well.

There is just a good feeling when you watch that airlock bubble away when you first start brewing, sort of a reassurance that your hard work is paying off. I have done 2 open fermentations, which were pretty interesting and delicious, so there isn't a whole lot to worry about.

How are things down the road in Lawrencetown? Think we'll see any Winter this year?

I have a couple of those buckets and they have served me well over the years. No issues with the lid whether you snap it closed or not. I generally don't even seal it. I'll just rest the lid on top and put something heavy on it to keep the cat from knocking it off.

If you do ever decide you want a lid you can plug an airlock into they sell them predrilled at Noble Grape. It's a sturdier bucket. The one you have there is a little flimsier and the lid doesn't take a hole saw or a spade bit too well.

Winter is probably going to hit the first of March when we all think it's not going to show up at all. A good winter on the oil bill so far though.

I have one of the noble grape buckets, but mangled the hole I cut for the airlock. I need to get a much bigger bung or a new lid and a hole saw. I'm thinking I like this clear bucket though, and I get them at the Bridgetown Pharmasave for about $20 with the lid.

My dad's brew pale lid never made a good seal. In fact, we never saw a single bubble in the airlock...not once, in many brews. He has made some pretty tasty brews with that bucket, so as others have said, the bucket you have is just fine. Don't waste money on something that seals...you'll just have a harder time taking the lid off and will likely shake up your yeast cake when you're trying to keep it still for transfer to a bottling bucket!

I think I'm going to try the Saran Wrap covering on a brew soon, just so I can watch the krausen and all that jazz.

I understand your bucket doesn't have a rubber gasket, but I don't think you can snap the lid down and assume it will leak enough to prevent it from blowing off. My bucket lid doesn't have a gasket, and it seems to seal well - I get plenty of bubbles in the airlock.

the guide that i am following for making my sake basically says screw airlocks and the horse they rode in on (for primary fermentation). the dude used a very loose sheet of plastic wrap over the top of his bucket for 32 days of primary fermentation and opens it daily to stir his sake.

the first time he uses an airlock is for the 40 days or so in secondary where he transfers to a carboy.

so...you bucket is fine like everyone else said.

in fact...the new coopers kits...don't they also not use an airlock and have a loose fitting lid that allows gas to escape that way.

Forgot I'd started this thread!

The bucket seems fine so far with the lid sitting loosely. I latched it tight for about 30 minutes the other day and it was swelling up pretty badly.

Gotta say though, like many have said, it sure is re-assuring to watch the air lock bubble.

Latest posts

Back