Would this work for a HERMS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Islandboy85

Reaction score
I have a friend who used to make ethanol. He ended up moving out of the country for a job, but gave me his condenser in hopes that I could use it. It's 1" over 3/4 x 48" long. If I got a dishwasher pump to recirculate the hot water through the condenser, could it function as a HERMS coil or would there not be enough surface are? If I don't have to build a huge HERMS coil or RIMS system that would be cool.

if it will work to cool and the materials will handle the temperatures it will work to heat. I assume it is all copper? in which case it will work well

jtsims21 said:
if it will work to cool and the materials will handle the temperatures it will work to heat. I assume it is all copper? in which case it will work well

It's all copper. I'm just not sure if this way would be harder than a RIMS.

it would be similar to a rims, but easier as you woulnt have the possability of scoraching wort, you could also use a closed system with oil so you could make it hotter without boiling it.

jtsims21 said:
it would be similar to a rims, but easier as you woulnt have the possability of scoraching wort, you could also use a closed system with oil so you could make it hotter without boiling it.

Deep fried beer :)

Back