Is this the right kind of GFCI?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wh4tig0t

Reaction score
I've been stalling on getting my 50 amp outlet installed, because I need GFCI for my brewing, (Currently using a 2 circuit 120v setup) and I need a regular breaker for my RV ( it has its own GFCI's on each outlet circuit.) Would one of these allow me to make a 50 amp inline GFCI:

http://www.spapartsshop.com/6895-BLK.aspx

Or

http://www.hottubworks.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=1-GF-50AHC&zmam=9262952&zmas=6&zmac=29&zmap=1-GF-50AHC

I've also looked at the 30 amp inline GFCI's available on Ebay, but if I go 240v I want to go all the way and have a heated HLT (or rims tube) and BK capable of being heated at the same time.

did you look into getting a GFI that would go in your panel.
Thats what i did and it protects everything from the panel to your BK. It should be cheaper too.

did you look into getting a GFI that would go in your panel.
Thats what i did and it protects everything from the panel to your BK. It should be cheaper too.

Like I said I plan to plug an RV into the same outlet, so the outlet it self can't be GFI, because the RV already has its own GFI's.

I'm not sure why does this need to be connected to a contactor/relay? does it need something else to cut the circuit?

Like I said I plan to plug an RV into the same outlet, so the outlet it self can't be GFI, because the RV already has its own GFI's.

I'm not sure why does this need to be connected to a contactor/relay? does it need something else to cut the circuit?

I don't know the answer, but it does say so in the description - so why not call them?

High Current GFCI
Adds ground fault protection to 30 or 50 amp loads powered through 3 and 4 wire circuits that include a grounded neutral. This high current GFCI must be used in conjunction with a switching relay or contactor for 3 or 4 wire circuits that include a grounded neutral. Call us for more information and technical assistance!

I don't know the answer, but it does say so in the description - so why not call them?

Called got redirected to their distributor. Basically it sounds more complicated than it needs to be for our type of application.

Whats stopping me from buying a SPA panel from lowes and running a plug from that spa panel up to my 50amp outlet, then out from the spa panel to another plug that is now GFI. Maybe mount the whole thing on a non permanent stand so when brew day is over it can be stored and out of the way?

You can buy a 60A GFCI spa panel for the same price as that little gizmo.

The reason why you need a contactor for that thing is because it only has a single pole contact. Once a ground fault is detected (the net flux going through the current sensor is not equal to 0) it opens or closes it's internal contact. During a ground fault you want to break connection with L1, L2, and N. With out the contactor you could only break 1 of those 3 connections.

Build the spa breaker into your control panel with a service cord that plugs into where the RV receptacle goes. Put a regular breaker to feed the RV receptacle in the main distribution panel. You wont be running GFCI's in series to the RV and the rig will have GFCI protection for the same cost. maybe less.

am i missing something, but why can you use the gfic with the RV?
As far as i know there is no reason 2 GIFC cant be run in series, excessive yes but i should work (from what i know)

am i missing something, but why can you use the gfic with the RV?
As far as i know there is no reason 2 GIFC cant be run in series, excessive yes but i should work (from what i know)

As far as I understand 2 GFCI's cancel each other out, and either trip each other or negate the protection provided the other, can someone else fill in here for me?

They wont cancel each other out. I dont remember seeing anything in the NEC that says you cant either. From the people Ive talked to they seem to me prone to nuisance trips, but their problem may have been a poor connection on the gfci, they are prone to that.

Think about it this way. All bathrooms have gfci outlets, alot of hair dryers and curling irons have them built into the cable. SWMBO never complains about one tripping the other.

On the other hand, it costs twice as much.

They wont cancel each other out. I dont remember seeing anything in the NEC that says you cant either. From the people Ive talked to they seem to me prone to nuisance trips, but their problem may have been a poor connection on the gfci, they are prone to that.

Think about it this way. All bathrooms have gfci outlets, alot of hair dryers and curling irons have them built into the cable. SWMBO never complains about one tripping the other.

On the other hand, it costs twice as much.

So odds are if i just install a GFCI breaker and a regular outlet, I'm good to go, with maybe an occasional nuisance trip, for a brew system I'll be monitoring, or an RV with a Backup battery? (good point about the hair dryers, i have seen those before, but it never occurred to me that thats what im talking about)

Back