Little sign of activity -Too late to repitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbrown08

Reaction score
This is week 2 (brewed on 2/20) of my 5th homebrew. I brewed the Coopers Mexican Cerveza with their brew enhancer 2 (a combo of dextrose, maltodextrin and Light Dry Malt, 1KG total). I used Nottingham Ale yeast, not the standard coopers yeast. I used the coopers yeast in my past 4 brews, and was looking for something with a slightly different taste.

Created a starter as the package recommended and the yeast reacted well, and created a nice slurry. I pitched the yeast into the fermenter (5gallon, coopers kit) at around 27-28C, and there was plenty of agitation to introduce oxygen into the brew.

My previous brews showed very active signs of fermentation and air lock activity. However, this brew showed little activity, but I chalked it up to the nature of the yeast.

Unfortunately, I did not get to take a hydrometer reading when I first pitched. I lost the one that came with the kit, and when the new one arrived it arrived broken. I brewed anywa, and figured that I could get by without the reading since my previous brews were successful with the same process.

Is it too late to repitch? Should I just wait and see what happens? There are no signs of leaking, and the kit has performed well in previous batches. I opened the lid and it smelled a bit acidic, however when I tasted it, it was actually quite mild and had no bad taste or smell in the glass. I used all of the same sanitation methods as my previous batches (star-san). The only signs of fermentation are a few bubbles on the surface of the brew.

From what I’ve read on the forums air lock activity is not necessarily proof of fermentation, but I feel that something else is going on here. I hope it’s not too late!

You should have a pretty good idea of the OG all you need is to get a reading of the FG to see what you have. I would wait until you get a new hydrometer before doing anything.

This is week 2 (brewed on 2/20) of my 5th homebrew. I brewed the Coopers Mexican Cerveza with their brew enhancer 2 (a combo of dextrose, maltodextrin and Light Dry Malt, 1KG total). I used Nottingham Ale yeast, not the standard coopers yeast. I used the coopers yeast in my past 4 brews, and was looking for something with a slightly different taste.

Just a heads up. The yeast included in the Coopers Mexican Cerveza is a lager/ale blend. It is not the standard ale yeast used with the Original Series.

Latest posts

Back