Cheap & Easy 10 Gallon Rubbermaid MLT Conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I apologize for my ignorance here as an extract brewer, but how does the liquid flow out of the cooler? Does the stainless steel braid act as a grain filter, while allowing liquid to enter throughout all sides of it? Or does liquid enter through the end of the braid hose?

I thought I understood this, but upon viewing the 3/27 update I got confused.

Thanks.

bazeballdadx said:
I apologize for my ignorance here as an extract brewer, but how does the liquid flow out of the cooler? Does the stainless steel braid act as a grain filter, while allowing liquid to enter throughout all sides of it? Or does liquid enter through the end of the braid hose?

I thought I understood this, but upon viewing the 3/27 update I got confused.

Thanks.

You're right that the braid filters everything (mostly) out except for the liquid. The liquid flows out via gravity/pressure differences. You will also establish a grain bed via vorlaufing which helps clear the liquid...

Can you do a partial mash with the 10 gallon beverage cooler setup?

I'm plan on going to all grain in a year from now once I move into a house.

There's still a lot of brewing equipment I want to acquire over time so I'm not stuck with sticker shock. (I already bought a 36 quart pot, which I plan on using now.)
  • scale
  • wort chiller
  • mill
  • 02 aeration setup.
  • kegging equipment

njnear76 said:
Can you do a partial mash with the 10 gallon beverage cooler setup?

I'm plan on going to all grain in a year from now once I move into a house.

There's still a lot of brewing equipment I want to acquire over time so I'm not stuck with sticker shock. (I already bought a 36 quart pot, which I plan on using now.)
  • scale
  • wort chiller
  • mill
  • 02 aeration setup.
  • kegging equipment

Yeah you can partial mash in the 10 gallon cooler. Just make sure your brewing software accounts for the dead space...

njnear76 said:
Kool Moe Dee.

Right on man...

koolmoedee01.jpg

Soulive21 said:
You're right that the braid filters everything (mostly) out except for the liquid. The liquid flows out via gravity/pressure differences. You will also establish a grain bed via vorlaufing which helps clear the liquid...

Okay, makes sense.

Soulive21 said:
Yeah you can partial mash in the 10 gallon cooler. Just make sure your brewing software accounts for the dead space...

Answers my next question... thanks!

I've read about how to make the round MLT with the Rubbermaid drink cooler. I have a rectangle cooler (I'm not sure but I think it's about 10 gallons. I'd say it's "medium" sized from what I've seen with a lot of coolers).

My question is... Can I still do the 12" stainless steel braid or does it have to be bigger?
Also, the drain hole on the cooler is a few inches above the bottom. Could I just prop the other end of the cooler up during the whole process to put the drain hole more toward "the bottom." I would secure it so it wouldn't slip, of course.

Thanks a bunch!

Is there a way to smooth out the edges of the cut off braid? I used my dremel with a carbide disc to cut the ends off, which worked fine, except I now have tons of pointy strands on the ends that pierce me everytime I touch it.

kmudrick said:
Is there a way to smooth out the edges of the cut off braid? I used my dremel with a carbide disc to cut the ends off, which worked fine, except I now have tons of pointy strands on the ends that pierce me everytime I touch it.

Don't touch it. ;)

Ok. I'm in the process of building this thing right now and I was wondering:

Can you buy zip ties at a store? If not is there any other kind of clamps that might work?

I was planning on crimping the end of the hose, but keeping the 3/8" Brass Nipple in order to weigh the hose down. Any reason that this would be a bad idea?

Thanks,
Mike

Hey guys,

I was looking at Home Depot and bought some stainless steel clamps with a stainless steel screw. They come in a bag of 10 and are made by Ideal. The product code is: 62604. I haven't tried them yet, but I believe it will work. The price is about $6.50. I think the 62M05 would be better since the widest diameter for the 6204 is 5/8". The 62M05 go up to 11/16".

It's important to check the screw on these clamps, because many cheaper stainless steel clamps come with a non-stainless steel screw. I think that is the problem that flyguy and others ran into.

Later,
Mike
http://www.idealclamps.com/catalog/clamps/detail.php?ID=1070&SECTION_ID=166

Hey guys... concerning the stainless steel braid. Has anyone noticed that it tends to wear-out ? I've only done maybe 7-8 batches with mine at its begun to stretch in places so that the holes are larger than I think they should be.

I'm wondering if building a manifold might be better in the long run than using a steel braid..

Just picked up a 10-gallon cooler from Home Depot yesterday. It looked like it had been sitting there for over a year and was very dirty, but nothing a little PBW couldn't clean. Rang up for 39.95.

My question now is who has added a "through wall" thermometer and has anyone documented what was used for that project?

Hill Country Brewer said:
My question now is who has added a "through wall" thermometer and has anyone documented what was used for that project?
I'd drill a small hole through the lid to push a temperature probe through the top. This would be for a digital thermometer and thermocouple. Something like this one, Taylor-1471-Digital-Thermometer-Timer, would let me monitor the mash at two locations.

I just bought a Rubbermaid 10-gal cooler too, and I'm going with the copper manifold.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hill Country Brewer said:
Here is a pretty cheap and simple solution:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=24946

I just use a digital meat thermometer with a remote probe dangling in the mash. The only thing you have to do to it is waterproof the cord on the probe, because if it gets wet, it will fry the probe. The solution is to just slip some 1/8" silicone tubing over the probe and wire lead. Works like a charm.

7346-SIMS3.jpg

I got mine built. Thanks Flyguy. The parts and directions were top notch.

My only concern are the stray strands from the braid. Will they scratch the cooler walls or should I just relax and have a home brew?

Thanks,
Mike

Kevin Dean said:
I couldn't find stainless steel washers in 5/8" and I couldn't find brass in that size.

What I ended up doing was buying about 10 or 12 neoprene washers and cramming them in there to get it tight. It sealed well but can be twisted, oh well. :)

Just wanted to ask about this, as I'm in the same boat. Spent 4 hours running around this morning and can't find SS or Brass washers in that size, but I did see the neoprenes in that size. Any ill effects? Regrets on using them?

kmudrick said:
Is there a way to smooth out the edges of the cut off braid?

I'm expecting that I will be pulling it off of the barb each time to clean it and such.

My braid is on there and several batches in I've not removed it, and I have no plans to. Immediately after your mash, rinse it many times and drain water through the valve and it should be as clean as it can get. I spray mine down with Star San before storing.

FlyGuy said:
I just use a digital meat thermometer with a remote probe dangling in the mash. The only thing you have to do to it is waterproof the cord on the probe, because if it gets wet, it will fry the probe. The solution is to just slip some 1/8" silicone tubing over the probe and wire lead. Works like a charm.

Spend $15 dollars at Target (or Wal-Mart) and get a kitchen probe thermometer. I'm sure FlyGuy had that one laying around, but if you don't it's cheaper to buy one that's designed for cooking and is already silicone coated. Mine's accurate to 0.1 degree F.

KiltedBrewer' said:
Any ill effects? Regrets on using them?

Yes and no. It works well enough that I've felt no real pressing need to fix it. However, small grains get stuck between the gaps of the washers. It's not a problem, since a light brush with my index finger loosens them out but it does require an extra (yet simple) step to clean.

I've gotten 3 5/8 Stainless washers from skifast1 (I think) who bought them in bulk for his MLT and I plan to replace the neoprene washers with them but the neoprene ones haven't given me any real NEED to do it so I'm waiting until I have one (Like I wanna clean it really well or something).

Thanks for that reply. If I may also ask, how many did you use? I just picked up 7 (that's all they had) putting 2 on the inside and 5 on the outside. The thing is moving all over the place, but I don't appear to have any leaks.

Skifast....you have any more washers you're trying to unload?

KiltedBrewer said:
If I may also ask, how many did you use? I just picked up 7 (that's all they had) putting 2 on the inside and 5 on the outside.

I think I used more than that. I ran downstairs to my basement to check, grabbed trash on the way out and totally forgot to check. Anyway, I know I bought a dozen and have one laying around here. One actually fell off during a mash, so I think it was my equipment's way of saying "No more!'

I was pushing them in to try and prevent the movement which it seems never got fixed. Mine will still move around a bit but there's not a single leak so I'm good. The only reason I'd think you would mess with it is to give it more stability but that will NOT happen so I'd say leave well enough alone. :)

I got SS washers in a SS bolt kit at HD....since I wanted everything right then and there

I scrounged and scrounged. :) Both Home Depots in Frederick, a Lowes in Frederick and a Home Depot in Alexandria - no washer. :(

Balto Charlie said:
Just a hunch but what about an auto parts store.

What on EARTH makes you think there's going to be fender washers at an auto parts store?

Seriously, that's a good idea, and one that never crossed my mind. I've already got my washers but for the "future generations" who stumble upon this, it's a GREAT idea. :)

Kevin Dean said:
What on EARTH makes you think there's going to be fender washers at an auto parts store?

Seriously, that's a good idea, and one that never crossed my mind. I've already got my washers but for the "future generations" who stumble upon this, it's a GREAT idea. :)

I dunno, I'm always disappointed by Auto Stoned and Pep Goys.....

Going to build my MLT soon. Got all the parts, just waiting for the cooler to come in the mail!!

Those of you who have used the nylon ties......how are they holding up?

I know people that have used the SS hose clamps and they rusted!!

One other question....besides the zip ties.

The only ball valve that they had is chrome plated brass. Is this okay?

Did some researching since HD and Lowes don't seem to carry many 10 gallon coolers on eBay. I'm in no way affiliated with any of these, just trying to provide some help.

Orange Insulated Water Cooler - 10-Gallon $60.60 + shipping (10 Available)
http://cgi.ebay.com/Orange-Insulated-Water-Cooler-10-Gallon_W0QQitemZ370006913544QQihZ024QQcategoryZ25384QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638.m118

RUBBERMAID 10 Gallon Water Cooler - 20.8" h $63 + shipping (9 available)
http://cgi.ebay.com/RUBBERMAID-10-Gallon-Water-Cooler-20-8-h_W0QQitemZ180114840483QQihZ008QQcategoryZ25384QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638.m118

Gatorade: 10 Gallon Cooler (#362-10) $73 + shipping (18 available)
http://cgi.ebay.com/Gatorade-10-Gallon-Cooler-362-10_W0QQitemZ160152176412QQihZ006QQcategoryZ62136QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638.m118

Rubbermaid 10 Gallon Cooler $67.20 + shipping
http://www.terratech.net/product.asp?specific=jonrqrh0

Gott 10 gallon Cooler $41.95 + shipping
http://www.cspoutdoors.com/10galwatcool.html

Back