Tonight: First Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlc767

Reaction score
Tonight I'm going to attempt my first brewing (Hefeweizen). I've been researching online, and have spoken with a few friends, so I have some idea what to expect, but I still have a few questions:

1. Will I need to buy Irish Moss or Whirlfloc tablets? I believe I read about not using them with Wheat beers.

2. My kit doesn't have an immersion chiller, so any idea how I will be instructed to chill the wort?

3. I don't yet own a Boilermaker brewing pot (with temperature guage), so what would you all recommend for keeping an eye on the temp? Just a normal thermometer?

4. What should I use from around the kitchen to aerate the wort?

Thanks!

Here's what I've learned, just started this myself:

1. Nah, don't need that stuff for a Hefeweizen.
2. Sink+Ice=Your Friend. Just put the whole thing in a plugged sink, surround it with ice, and some water, and stir for a bit. when the ice water turns into hot water, exchange the water and keep going.
3. Go to your grocery store, get a meat thermometer, candy thermometer, something on the kitchen gadget isle. It should be $4 or so.
4. Aerate it with a big plastic spoon. Just stir and stir.

Have Fun!

Thanks, Paul.

Also, how many gallons of filtered water should I buy from the store? I think a normal batch for a basic kit is what... 6 gallons?

Tonight I'm going to attempt my first brewing (Hefeweizen). I've been researching online, and have spoken with a few friends, so I have some idea what to expect, but I still have a few questions:

1. Will I need to buy Irish Moss or Whirlfloc tablets? I believe I read about not using them with Wheat beers.

2. My kit doesn't have an immersion chiller, so any idea how I will be instructed to chill the wort?

3. I don't yet own a Boilermaker brewing pot (with temperature guage), so what would you all recommend for keeping an eye on the temp? Just a normal thermometer?

4. What should I use from around the kitchen to aerate the wort?

Thanks!

1. Irish moss is an option but I think it would be a waste. most wheat beers are cloudy anyway...

2. Sounds like a flooded sink and ice also known as an ice bath.

3. I use a floating thermometer.

4. AFTER the wort is chilled you can: whisk the top of the wort, cap it and shake it in the fermentor, or violently poor and splash it some on its way into the fermentor or any combo of the above.

Unless your tap water tastes bad you could just use that.

If you really want to use the filtered water you will need about 6 gallons for extract and maybe 7 or 8 for all-grain.

Also, one last question: when will I know the wort is thoroughly chilled and ready to go into the fermentor? I'm assuming it will go from boiling on the stove immediately to an ice bath, correct? How many bags of ice should I have ready? And only after it's chilled, correct? (Not during the chill)

So ~13 total?

No, no, just one or the other. If you're new you're probably using extract (it will either be dry stuff labeled things like "Golden Light" or "Light", maybe "Pilsener" or liquid with similar labels). Almost everyone starts with extract, so I'm assuming that what you're doing.

How big is your kettle?

What kind of equipment do you have?

Where did you get the recipe?

A little more data will help us help you.

One thing I will warn you about up front, you will probably want to rig some sort of blow-off tube for the beer while it's going through its first week of fermentation, as Hefe's love to make a huge mess if you don't use one.

Also, one last question: when will I know the wort is thoroughly chilled and ready to go into the fermentor? I'm assuming it will go from boiling on the stove immediately to an ice bath, correct? How many bags of ice should I have ready? And only after it's chilled, correct? (Not during the chill)

Get a floating thermometer... you don't needed it during the boil, just to figure out when the wort has been chilled....

Yes it will go from the stove immediately to the ice bath... I normally can chill my wort with 2 bags of ice (10 lbs each).

Aerate only after it's chilled... I pour back and forth from pot to fermenter and I shake when I pitch my yeast...

Also, I had planned on using a glass carboy fermentor. After I've racked the wort into it, can I just drop yeast into the neck and cap it? Or is there a better way to add the yeast as you rack it? Or should I not use a glass carboy and stick w/ the plastic bucket?

Honestly, the only way to truly know when your wort is at the correct temperature is with a thermometer. I like to use an Infrared Thermometer simply because its instant read and the less things I put in my beer that could contain little critters that will affect my beer....the happier I am.

You also don't want to pitch your yeast until your wort is at the proper temperature. You can get some off flavors if you pitch to hot.

Also, I don't use a wort chiller. Never have. Sink, cold water, and hour later (give or take) I am Rocking My Baby.

Also, I found using a big spoon to aerate the wort just takes to much energy! I like to fill my Primary, place the lid on the bucket, place the airlock in the hole (without water in the airlock) and tip the bucket up on one edge, and then back down (hence, rocking my baby, and keep the pace rather fast). This works the best for me. If you REALLY want the easy way...there are paddle stirrers that attach to drills. Its all up to you.

Also, I had planned on using a glass carboy fermentor. After I've racked the wort into it, can I just drop yeast into the neck and cap it? Or is there a better way to add the yeast as you rack it? Or should I not use a glass carboy and stick w/ the plastic bucket?

It depends... if you have a 5 gallon carboy, you may want to use a blow-off tube or stick with your bucket (I'm assuming it's a 6.5 gal bucket)

Then again, wheat beers are known to go crazy even in plastic buckets and you may need to set up a blow off tube there as well.

You can just add the yeast and cap it... then shake it to mix in and you'll be good to go...

OK, what you probably have is an extract kit with steeping grains then. There are a few things you're going to want to keep in mind when you brew:

1) The recipe will probably have some specialty grains included with a steeping bag, and instructions to let them steep for around 30 minutes. In this step, be sure not to get the temperature above 170 and to not squeeze the bag to get the rest of the water out of the grain. It releases tannins which create off flavours. You are definitely going to want a thermometer of some sort. Some people use floating ones, I prefer the large probe ones that can just rest on the edge of the pot but you have options here.

2) Don't worry too much about additions like Irish Moss for Hefes. Irish Moss clears the beer, but Hefes are supposed to be cloudy. I usually use the moss, but it's far from necessary.

3) Make sure the wort is cool before you add the yeast. If the wort is too hot, your yeast will be killed off. With just an ice bath, it will probably take about an hour or so, but again, you will want a thermometer (sanitized at this point) to make sure that you're down to pitching temperature (below 80, preferably down to whatever temperature you're planning to let the beer ferment at).

4) Aerating the wort is easy, after it's cool just dump it into your primary bucket. You can also stir it a bit if you like (with the spoon you used to stir it while it was boiling is fine), but don't sweat it too much. You will want to be more thorough when you're trying to aerate high gravity beers, but a standard wheat does not need too much coddling.

Doesn't matter. Glass Carboy or Plastic Bucket. Its all up to you. I prefer buckets because they are easier to clean, cheap as hell, and if they drop for some reason, they don't shatter into a million pieces. But if you have a carboy then by all means use that. Its really cool watching beer ferment for you first time :D

Also, what yeast are you using? Dry or Liquid?

My first ever Wheat Beer I made with a Belgian Yeast strain painted my walls with Krausen because I didn't use a blow-off ^^

Might want to use one just in case

I'm pretty sure the plastic fermentor that came with the kit has that blow-off valve attachment. If not, I will get one today. Same for the glass carboy. :)

Good luck on the brew. Most important is to relax enjoy the brewing process, smoke a cigar if you're inclined and have fun.

1. Hefe is supposed to be cloudy so I don't believe the moss or whirfloc you mentioned is necessary. Part of the flavor will be the yeast so leaving the sediment behind in the bottle rule doesn't apply with most hefes.

2. With no chiller you'll need to make an ice bath. I used to fill my sink with ice and water, lift my pot into the bath and slowly spin it back and forth to cool the wort. The other trick if doing a partial boil is to chill a couple gallons of water in the fridge all day and pour that into the fermenter then pouring your somewhat cooled wort into the cold water, this should get you low enough for yeast, but check first. Make sure it's good clean water, I bought bottled when I did it this way.

3. I used a turkey fryer therm my first few brews but NOT even near accurate enough. A real simple meat therm might get you buy in a pinch. There are plenty of electric models at for ovens or grills that people use. You have to watch the probe though, if the wiring gets wet it will effect the reading. There is a shrink tubing fix that guys use but I don't have the link handy. I currently have a $12 therm from the LHBS.

4. I pour my cooled wort through a stainless steal colander and then shake the carboy or fermenter to give the yeast some oxygen before pitching.

I am assuming you are doing an extract with specialty grains and doing a partial boil. Don't forget to sanitize everything the cooled wort will come in contact with, being a sanitation nazi is pretty acceptable. Lay out all your stuff so you know where it is and what it is and you'll be good to go. After a few brews you'll have your process down and start modifying it to fit your needs and time frame.

Edit: Well when I started typing this there were no other posts. Get caught on the phone and there are already 2 pages, should hav known. Without even looking I tell you this has already been posted. But what the heck, it's all for the good of the beer.

Appreciate the long write-up, Mose. One question.

The other trick if doing a partial boil is to chill a couple gallons of water in the fridge all day and pour that into the fermenter then pouring your somewhat cooled wort into the cold water, this should get you low enough for yeast, but check first. Make sure it's good clean water, I bought bottled when I did it this way.

This sounds like a great idea. Forgive my ignorance, but how much extra water is usually added to the fermentor + chilled wort before pitching?

Appreciate the long write-up, Mose. One question.

This sounds like a great idea. Forgive my ignorance, but how much extra water is usually added to the fermentor + chilled wort before pitching?

You use as much as you need to bring it up to the 5gal mark in the fermenter, or whatever batch size you are doing. I would measure my fermenter with the known amount and mark it. If you have the ability mark your pot as well. If you don't know exactly what is in the pot then pour the wort into the fermenter and add the cooled water to bring her down to pitching temps. You certainly don't want to water down the beer, what a travesty. Pouring the water into the wort is really easier with the fermenter marked.

If your kit came with an Ale Pale, it should have 1,2,3,4 and 5 gallon markings on it as well. Don't overfill your Primary. Mose is right, watered down beer is a travesty!

So ~13 total?

No, what I was saying is that if you are using malt extract syrup or powder (LME or DME) you could use only 6 gallons.

If you are doing all-grain you will most likely need more water. However, as this is you first beer you are most likely using extract so you just need 6 gallons.

On another note, cooling isn't critical for a hefeweizen, it's really only needed if you want a crystal clear beer (hefeweizens are supposed to be cloudy). You can just put you boil kettle in the sink with some cold tap water surrounding it, you could also just put a lid over it after flameout and wait for it to cool. You could even just do the whole thing in 3 gallons, then put 2 gallons of cold tap water (or your store bought water) in the fermenter and just pour the hot wort into the bucket with the cold water. The important thing is not to pitch your yeast until the bucket no longer feel warm to the touch.

Thanks so much for the input guys. Just got back from the store. Should have everything I need.

Something I didn't account for: carrying up the brewing kit + 2 buckets, beer kit, 6 gallon glass carboy and about 6 cases of empty bottles up three flights of stairs in the blazing 96-degree Virginia sun. :)

** One last question: I've purchased 6 gallons of filtered water. Should I keep it room temperature or chill it? Thanks! :)

Thanks so much for the input guys. Just got back from the store. Should have everything I need.

Something I didn't account for: carrying up the brewing kit + 2 buckets, beer kit, 6 gallon glass carboy and about 6 cases of empty bottles up three flights of stairs in the blazing 96-degree Virginia sun. :)

** One last question: I've purchased 6 gallons of filtered water. Should I keep it room temperature or chill it? Thanks! :)

Chill a couple gallons for cooling and keep the rest at room temp for the boiling, assuming you are doing the partial boil described above. Sounds like you need a Homebrew before you start, also recommended.

Where in VA?

I'm pretty sure the plastic fermentor that came with the kit has that blow-off valve attachment. If not, I will get one today. Same for the glass carboy. :)

Just for clarity it sounds like you are talking about the airlock. This is different than a blow off. A blow off is hose that is connected to the top of the fermenter with one end in water or preferably something like starsan. This allows excess gas and krausen to escape the fermenter.

If you only use the airlock, it potentially could clog up and explode all over. Search on here for pictures of blow off tubes to see how to rig it up.

Thanks, Art. I got a 6 gallon carboy today (instead of 5) and the clerk said the extra space would make it so that I wouldn't need a blow-off valve (i.e. that the airlock would suffice).

Thanks, Art. I got a 6 gallon carboy today (instead of 5) and the clerk said the extra space would make it so that I wouldn't need a blow-off valve (i.e. that the airlock would suffice).

Yup, that's exactly why my IPA exploded all over my basement and nearly sent my airlock through the floor above, slight exageration, but my 6gal carboy couldn't contain a energetic 5gal fermentation. I now use a blow off tube everytime to make sure I don't have an explosion again.

With no chiller you'll need to make an ice bath. I used to fill my sink with ice and water, lift my pot into the bath and slowly spin it back and forth to cool the wort. The other trick if doing a partial boil is to chill a couple gallons of water in the fridge all day and pour that into the fermenter then pouring your somewhat cooled wort into the cold water, this should get you low enough for yeast, but check first. Make sure it's good clean water, I bought bottled when I did it this way.

This is basically what I have done. When I start brewing, I stick a gallon of water in the fridge and a gallon in the freezer. The ice bath usually drops the temp to about 90 deg in 10 minutes. Add the chilled water to get the temp down to 60-70.

As for aerating, last time I brewed I set my bucket on a tennis ball and rocked it around for 5 minutes. Seemed to work OK.

Good luck.

Hrmmm. Ok.

You may not need a blow off with your 6 gallon but since you aren't familiar with your process and temperatures the yeast will see, the yeast or this type of beer I'd recommend a blow off. At least for the first several days.

Smart buying the 6 gallon carboy though. You'll lose less beer to blow off (if it happens)

Wort is chilling in ice bath. Bottom of wort is 70-80 degrees; top of wort still 125 degrees... Safe to aerate? Should I wait for top to cool?

Wort is chilling in ice bath. Bottom of wort is 70-80 degrees; top of wort still 125 degrees... Safe to aerate? Should I wait for top to cool?

I'd gently stir with a sanitized spoon. That will help it chill faster. You can stir the ice bath a bit, too, so that you don't get uneven chilling.

Added yeast to wort in carboy... How long should I aerate? A solid 5 min?

Back