Bourbon barrel char

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gannawdm

Reaction score
I did a tour of the Buffalo Trace Distillery in Kentucky. In their gift shop, they offered bags of bourbon barrel charred chips for BBQ/grilling. Bourbon barrels are charred on the inside. The charred part of the barrel was scraped out of the barrels after emptying them. I bought a bag thinking of brewing.

Do you think these might be good for brewing? How would you use them?

OK. I got an idea. I have an oatmeal stout that has been in the primary for nearly 3 weeks (ready to bottle). I was thinking that I could rack 2 gallons to a secondary and add some bourbon barrel char and let it sit for a couple weeks. Thoughts? Would bourbon and an oatmeal stout go together?

It sounds like it's mainly char and no oak. I would think it would impart more burnt/char taste than anything. If it was charred oak chips that would be better. I need to find a way to get the charred oak in thick form.

After 3 weeks in primary, I racked my oatmeal stout to secondary. I racked 2 gallons to a separate container for my bourbon char beer. I put 3/4 oz. of bourbon barrel char in a spice bag and covered it with 1/4 cup of Buffalo Trace bourbon for sanitation. After soaking for an hour, I added the spice bag to my stout. I only added a little bit of the whiskey. The char has been in the stout for 2 weeks. Today I did a side by side taste test. The char stout has a very subtle bourbon flavor, but it is very subtle. I think I might remove the char from the spice bag and let it sit for another week.

No burnt flavor by the way.

I know this is an old post, but did you ever come to a suitable use of the char. I just did the same tour that you did and I purchased a bag of the char. I'm looking for suggestions.

I would think that you would want whole barrel chips...meaning the entire barrel was "shredded" for it's chips. That way you get oak flavors, char flavors and whiskey flavors.

Latest posts

Back