where ya at, New Orleans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geackdailey

Reaction score
So, I started brewing in Michigan. Ann Arbor for ya nerds like I am. I have since moved to New Orleans, Louisiana. I shouldn't have to say that the average temp is way different. Any advice on brewing in tropical climates?
I've been making good brews but...

Welcome to HBT! I'm from the Northeast, so I can't help you with brewing in your climate, but I'll raise a glass to you when I get down to NOLA next time (we come down once a year around Halloween).

My wife and I got married right outside the gates of Jackson Square last Halloween.

So, I started brewing in Michigan. Ann Arbor for ya nerds like I am. I have since moved to New Orleans, Louisiana. I shouldn't have to say that the average temp is way different. Any advice on brewing in tropical climates?
I've been making good brews but...

do you have a refrigerator or freezer with temp control to ferment in?

hey man, welcome to the south. the temp can get ridiculous around this time of year, but fortuneately i have a dark closet in my spare bedroom that stays between 68-72 for fermentation. if your place stays too hot, i suggest investing in a kegerator or a fermentation chamber. i live in mandeville right off the causeway, so if you're ever in this part of town, let me know and you can stop by for some homebrew.

Yeah, the wet t-shirt thing doesn't cut it down here. You either need an ice bath or a refrigerator/freezer.

Welcome. I also suggest a chest freezer or fridge with a temperature controller. There are other options, but that is the most user friendly method. Used ones are plentiful Craig's List or nola.com. Also, A-1 applicances brings all of their scratch and dent stuff to their Harahan location, so you can pick up some good deals there (they list what they have on the website).

I will also add a plug for Brewstock as it is really nice to have a shop close by, and the prices are very reasonable.

Thanks all,
I have no AC and don't want one. I know, don't bother saying I'm crazy, I've been told a million times.
I am looking to get a freezer/fridge but can't now. I have used the wet towel with fermenter in bucket 'o' water and it worked way better than expected.
I made a wheat beer. Brew day was 104 degrees F. Broke an all time record.
The beer sucked. I called it Swheaty little white boy. My girl friend liked it though.
And I love Brewstock. Thank god the construction is over.

I was beginning to think there was many Louisiana folks around this site. I am at Fort Polk and just started my first batch last Friday and my intro thread a couple days later.

Back to topic. I used an Ice bath in a dark closet and was able to keep my primary around 60-62.

Have you spent a summer here in NOLA yet? Been here in the deep south (NOLA nd South Mississippi) all my life and can't imagine no AC. Without a fermenter you will be having ferment temps in the upper 80's even in the "winter" months. At least you can go down the street (any street! LOL!) and find respite in your neighborhood bar but your brew doesnt have that option.

What part of NOLA you in? I split my time between South Mississippi and the Marigny in NOLA when I am not offshore.

Latest posts

Back