Quick question about DME vs. LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMU_Alumn08

Reaction score
I'm going to try making a Hefeweizen but use all wheat DME instead of LME to keep the color lighter. Do I use the same amount of DME as LME (listed in the recipe) or does it not matter. For instance, if the recipe calls for 6.6 lbs. of LME, do I use 6.6 lbs. of DME? Thanks for whoever can help!

When I got the ingredients for my hefe (fermenting day 11 now) the LHBS told me 6.6# LME was equivalent to 6# DME. I seem to recall reading that in another thread as well.

"A handy way to think of grain/DME/LME is this: 1 lb grain = .75 lb LME = .6 lb DME"

Copied from one of Yoopers posts who I believe copied it from one of Homebrewers posts.

Per Beersmith @ 100% Eff
------------------------
Pale malt ppg = 36
LME ppg = 36
DME ppg = 44

You get 100% eff w/ extracts, but not with malt. Pale malt usually yields around 27ppg, so as it has been said, 1lb of grain = .75lb of LME = .61lb of DME.

If your recipe calls for 6.6lbs of LME you are shooting for 237.6 points (6.6 * 36). Divide by 44 for DME and you get 5.4lbs.

I hate to keep referencing Same Calagione's Extremee Brewing book, however he indicated that 3.3lbs of LME is the same as 3lbs of DME

Sam Calagione's book is the one I use a lot. I'm just going to stick with 6.6 lbs. LME=6 lbs. DME. Rather have a little too much than not enough.

Back