your best scotch ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marisa_arrr

Reaction score
Just bottled our first hard cider and we're drinking our first IPA (the first brew - it's gooood). Now we want a scotch ale that will keep us warm through January. We have a good brew shop down the road that can provide us with whatever you suggest.

Cheers!

-marisa

Are you brewing extract or AG? My extract recipe for Wee Heavy was a huge hit this year (see recipe database) and it can easily be converted or scaled down to a lesser gravity (it was a pretty big beer). I'd be happy to assist you in making any modifications to it.

Well the first one we did was an extract recipe, which seemed to work out nicely especially in our tiny apartment.
I checked out your recipe and it looks awesome, but I want something that will be done in a 4-5 weeks so I don't have a scotch ready in the middle of july :)

Well, if you scale it down so the OG isn't as high you could have something ready in 6-8 weeks (4-5 is somewhat unrealistic for a Scottish since they are about malt).

How about this:
4lbs Extra Light DME
1/2 lb Crystal 55L
2 oz Chocolate Malt
1 oz Black Patent

.75 oz EKG (4.75AA) for 60 minutes

This will give you a 1.040 OG with 16 IBUs putting you in the top of the 70 Shilling range for a scottish and should be ready in 8 weeks (2 weeks primary, 3 weeks secondary, 3 weeks bottled).

I would recommend either the Safale S-04 for dry yeast of White Labs Edinburgh yeast if you are comfortable with liquid yeast.

im doing an all grain i will look and the wee heavy anything i should look out for when making a scotch this will be my first ale

Hey it is Scottish, not Scotch. I am a Scot. Americans use Scotch for Scottish and it drives me bats. Oh I can't help you on that type of beer though since I cant stand the stuff myself!

Steve da Scot

Hey it is Scottish, not Scotch. I am a Scot. Americans use Scotch for Scottish and it drives me bats. Oh I can't help you on that type of beer though since I cant stand the stuff myself!

Steve da Scot
Thread resurrection aside: AFAIK, in the context of beer and style guidelines, wee heavies are called Strong Scotch Ale (not Scottish) and all the weaker beers (all the 'shilling' beers) are called Scottish (not Scotch).

Back