Shanks for Keezer Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cajun_Tiger33

Reaction score
I am building a keezer and i was wondering how long of shank i will need for my keezer. I have a 2x6 collar and i will be putting a 1x8 oak board on the front and sides to make it look nice. What size shank would be the best for this set up?

also should i go with all stainless steel shanks or will chrome work? I plan on using perlick faucets

1.5" (2x) + .75" (1x) = 2.25" total collar. + you need length to be able to get the nut on. So 4" will be fine.

I would go for the stainless shanks, they last longer.

what is the best website to buy the shanks from? and do they all come with the nipples attached?

1.5" (2x) + .75" (1x) = 2.25" total collar. + you need length to be able to get the nut on. So 3"-4" will be fine.

I would go for the stainless shanks, they last longer.

I am planning building my keezer soon too. When you say they last longer what do you mean? Do the chrome shanks literally go bad/fall apart? Obviously I only want to buy the parts once.

As mentioned, go with 4" shanks. I just put 3" ones in mine with a 2x6 collar and they wouldn't fit with an additional 1" collar. I'd also second getting stainless shanks.

The cheap chrome ones tend to flake (the finish) after a period of time.

When you say that, what do you base your facts on? Have you actually seen this or is this just something you've heard mentioned?

Back