Looking for Chili Experts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foreigner

Reaction score
Hello All:

I've got a chili stout in the primary right now and I'm just curious about the spice/taste you've managed to get from your chili brews.

I guess I'm looking for taste feedback and curious about the taste/burn balance.

FYI, my stout is about 1.040, with 10 long red chinese szechuan chilies added in last 3 minutes of boil, remained in boiling bucket during ~45 min cool, then strained out before put into the primary.

I have no idea how it will turn out, but I would like to know your techiniques that have given you the burn and flavour you were looking for.

Anyone else tried a chili brew that either worked or didn't? I'm in to hearing about major failures too :ban:

thanks!

Foreigner

no replies yet..... looks like you're a pioneer here

I cook with dried szechuans a lot, and have disappointed with the commercial "chile" beers I've tried.. Let me know when you get around to tasting, what you're getting for flavor and heat..(too bad there's no way to make a beer with the hot chjili oil they make in chinese restaurants/////

Yes, don't take a lack of response for a lack of interest. It's merely a lack of knowledge on our parts. I am also curious how it would turn out. The basic brewing video podcast added some chilies to a mead the made on one of their shows, you might want to start there (basicbrewing.com). You could send them an email on their contact us page and ask, they seem pretty willing to answer questions.

Ive tried chili stout twice. I dont have my brew log with me right now but I can give you the basics. The recipe that I used was pased off of Charlie P's "Goat Scrotum Ale" from The Complete Joy.

The first time I put the peppers in the boil, and let them sit in primary. I was a bit underwhelmed with the spiciness. The second time, I put anaheim peppers in the boil, which were transfered to primary, and about half the bottles got a slice of serrano in them. The ones with serrano were way too hot, the ones without were "meh". I found that they tasted pretty good if they were blended 50-50. I also wound up making some beer bread with them.

Next time I will try jalapeno or serrano in the boil, and banana pepers or something in the bottle (or maybe also in the boil).

Let us know how yours turns out.

- magno

Wow! I forgot about this thread! Howdy y'all!

I have yet to taste it, but during primary ferm it smelled like some volatile chili flavours were coming out.

Ideally I would like just a little heat from the chilis to compliment the slight warming from the alcohol. Again, I have no idea if this succeeded...

allphoto: I love that sauce - just the oil in some jook or on some cheung fun is some really awesome stuff.

Magno: I doubt I will end up adding any extra chilis to the bottles. When you say "meh" do you mean non-existent, minimal, can only taste if you know it's there?

Jowens: I've got a wildberry mead and an orange vanilla mead bulk aging at the moment, no room for honey/chili at the moment ! :ban:

I should be tasting it in the next few days when I rack it off, so we will all know shortly!

Foreigner said:
Magno: I doubt I will end up adding any extra chilis to the bottles. When you say "meh" do you mean non-existent, minimal, can only taste if you know it's there?

The flavor was minimal. You could taste it as the beer warmed.

Well people, I tasted it yesterday... *suspense builds*

It is quite tasty and quite drinkable. Very nice minimally roasty stout...just a little roasty. There is little to no pepper taste, but the spice is dialed in right where I kind of wanted it.

Just a little bite, not really a kick, but a bite. The only way I can really describe it is this: you know the old Guinness sourness debate? You know the "back of the throat" sourness? The burn sort of mimics it. Except instead of a sourness at the back of the throat its a bite at the back of the tongue...but just a little. But the sensations are comparable. SWMBO tasted it and the look of horror on her face was priceless! I think I will drink most of this alone! And enjoy it! Thoguh, I have had a request for one in all my ramblings about my franken-brew. Maybe I'll offer it to someone I don't like after they've had a few too many ;)

Among th top ten beers I have ever tasted is a Chocolate, Habenjero Stout made by a small brewpub in Portland OR. I know they scare people, but in the right concentration, Habenjeros have the most exquisite flavor.

Never brewed with peppers myself, but look forward to trying! Glad it turned out drinkable!

Foreigner said:
SWMBO tasted it and the look of horror on her face was priceless! I think I will drink most of this alone!

Now that made me LOL! Thanks :rockin:

Do you like to eat just plain chiles, and how hot do you like it?

I found chili exports...er, experts...:drunk:

Beaners3.jpg

Thaumaturgist said:
Now that made me LOL! Thanks :rockin:

Do you like to eat just plain chiles, and how hot do you like it?

It's hard to quantify heat. Lets just say that if I'm eating chicken wings I want to be crying just a little bit :) Really, there a pub down the street that has 30 wings and a pitcher for 22 buck! The "lethal" hot sauce is extra :ban:

Homebrewer99: don't grab yer crotch at me this ain't a music video :rockin:

Back