Cereal killer mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miketedesco

Reaction score
Back in dec I preordered a cereal killer from adventures in homebrew. Mine came yesterday so I figured I'd post my observations. I had watched the old thread on this thing but nothing since the new batch shipped.

I have not used mine yet so keep that in mind.

First, there is an oring on one of the rollers which is intended to create friction between the rollers and make them roll together. I think it's rather pointless since after a few batches it will wear out and fall off.

I checked my gap with a set of gauges. The preset gap ranged from .031" to .037" but was atleast consistent straight across. Not great, but I can live with the axle being off by 3 thousandths of an inch.

The hopper isn't huge but it's a probably big enough for me. I can refill midway through milling. I'll probably add an extension eventually. I do have to file the edges on the sheet metal; they are a little sharp.

The base is pretty nice. Much better than what comes on most of the better mills. It fits on a bucket really well and the dowels on the bottom help keep it in place.

Friday I'll be brewing my first batch and will update on my results.

How much did this mill cost? I'm looking at options for different mills.
Thanks!

I picked up one of these back in November and so far have had no real issues.

What works best for me is that I don't load up the hopper too much. I find that it works best if using a cordless drill on low speed and keep it going while adding the grain slowly. When I used my one-speed corded drill, the roller spun too fast and wouldn't pull the grain through.

A friend of mine had a crankandstein which I have used many times with my dewalt cordless and it worked great.

For the $90 I spent it looks to be a really good investment. I see no reason it shouldn't hold up well for the batch a month I usually brew.

Yes I also preordered one and it came today as well. I also haven't tried it but it looks solid. I think it was well worth the $$ spent. Here are a few pictures! I will post again once I use it!

image-804020885.jpg

image-3262387983.jpg

image-1452757351.jpg

I have a BC, not a big fan but it does do the job with some extra cleaning, etc.

Important to note that the BC is a lifetime warranty.

The Cereal Killer is - 6 Month Warranty on Mill. That can eat up your savings rather quick.

Just a bit of grist for the mill. :)

Mine came yesterday as well. Other than the mill being installed backward so there wasn't room for the handle to turn its not bad at all for the price. Obviously flipping the mill is easy enough. I will have to wait a few weeks to try it out. Does the hopper really hold 7lbs? It seems small to me.

Yes I'd say the hopper holds 7 lbs. That's unfortunate that it was backwards. I was actually thinking about reversing mine so it's more stable with my cordless drill hanging off of it. I am soon hoping to add a motor to it anyway so I'll have to make some modifications anyway.

I dunno, I seem to get 5.5-6 lbs max if you really fill it. I usually fill 4-5 at a time, mill, and repeat.

So I used it for the first time. I did have to adjust the gap but no big deal.

My one issue I did have is that my base is upside down. The square poution should be on the other side. The way it is now it is prone to tipping while milling (and I did spill about 3 lbs all over my garage floor when it tipped). Otherwise will worth the purchase.

Back