Possible Scotch Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheJadedDog

AFK ATM
Reaction score
I'm in the planning stages for a scotch ale and I'm wondering if this sounds like it would work for the style (not that style is all that important) and if it sounds good (to those who like scotch ale):

Steeping grains -
1lb Crystal 55
4oz chocolate malt

8lbs light DME

1/2oz target 11%AA for 60 min
1/2oz EKG 4.75%AA for 15 min
1/4oz EKG for 5 min
1/4oz EKG for 1 min

I'm pretty new to designing my own recipes so any and all feedback is welcome and appreciated (as long as you're not a total EAC).

Dont use ANY hops except for bittering. Scotch and Scottish Ales are ALL about the malt. Even Fermentation temps. are lower, to get esters out of the way of hops.

Brewiz said:
You may also want to try some Peated Malt to get that smokiness..

I threw 1 oz per gallon of Johnnie Walker into the bottling bucket. It tasted gross at first, but after it was done priming, there's just the slightest peaty flavor and it's pretty good. I'd go up to 1.5 oz per gallon next time. Of course, if you can get peated malt, thats even better.

Brewiz said:
You may also want to try some Peated Malt to get that smokiness..

I threw 1 oz per gallon of Johnnie Walker into the bottling bucket. It tasted gross at first, but after it was done carbing, there's just the slightest peaty flavor and it's pretty good. I'd go up to 1.5 oz per gallon next time. Of course, if you can get peated malt, thats even better.

Latest posts

Back