Fermentation temp adjustments

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shanecb

Reaction score
It really seems to me like most people take the temperature of fermentation on the outside of the carboy/bucket. Now, how accurate is this in regards to the real temperature of the active fermentation inside of the bucket? I'm doing up plans to make a temp control system that directly takes the temperature in the core of the carboy/bucket.

Now, if the stick-on thermometers aren't exact as to what the core temperature is, it seems to me like I would have to adjust when doing someone else's recipe. If they say to ferment at 65 F, and that's the temperature on the stick-on thermometer, would I have to adjust slightly if I'm taking the temperature from (relatively) the core?

EDIT: Ignore this. Read around a couple of more threads and actually found my answer. Not sure how to (if I can) delete this post, or I would.

You want to follow the temperature recommendations for the yeast. I haven't really seen recipes that are dependent upon fermentation temperature beyond wanting to make sure you don't ferment too warm for your yeast, etc.

What you're thinking of is called a thermowell. It lets you have your temperature probe right in the beer. Stick on thermometers are actually surprisingly accurate considering they're just a cheap stick on piece of plastic. Many folks will put a temperature sensor for a control system up against the fermenter and then insulate it from the outside air with something over it. That helps get a pretty accurate temp reading.

I don't think the temp strips are terribly accurate, but to me they are "close enough". In the hot summer, I use a water bath with frozen water bottles and float a thermometer in the water bath. The stick on thermometer on the fermenter is very close to the temperature of the water bath. That's close enough for me. If I ferment at 62 for most of my ales, fermenting the same beer at 64 or 63 won't matter at all. It's when you get above about 68 degrees or below 61ish that it might matter.

But I guess my question still stands; the majority of people are quoting temperature based upon when the outside of the bucket is, correct?

After I'd posted, it seems like it's really not that different of a temperature than the active fermentation inside (maybe a degree tops), so I'm not really worried about adjusting based upon measuring from a different location.

ChshreCat: Yeah, a thermowell is what I'm using.

Different people use different methods. Some folks have thermometers right in the brew and others are using the stick on fermometers. Either method is useful.

Back