BB Imperial Pale Ale OG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sleeper

Reaction score
I brewed this kit from brewers best and have a question about the original gravity. As far as fermentables, the kit includes:

6.6 lbs Light LME
2 lbs Light DME

There are about 1.5 lbs of grains that are also steeped.

The kit predicts an OG of 1.081 to 1.085. This seems way to high to me. I ended up with an OG of 1.067 which seemed more appropriate, but I am considering giving myself a starting OG that is in the range the kit predicts as there really shouldn't be any variance with an all extract recipe like this. I understand that the wort may not have been mixed adequately when I took the sample, it just doesn't seem to me that 6.6 lbs of LME and 2 lbs of DME would give you that high of an OG.

The FG was 1.014 if that helps.

Thoughts?

Yeah, I would agree with you on that assessment. Punch those numbers into BeerSmith and you come up with 1.067 OG.

---Prolly not you're issue here, if it were, that extract would contain dramatically more sugar than average. But just the same...---

Did you correct for temperature on your hydrometer? If you took a reading of 1.067 at say 130 degrees, the corrected value would be about 1.085. Otherwise, make sure your hydrometer is calibrated. Stick it in 68 degree water, and it should say 1.000.

All and all though, I wouldn't worry too much. I'm sure it will still make a good beer, just with less booze than expected.

Back