Selling Homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IceFisherChris

Reaction score
Did you guys hear about the new law in Minnesota allowing home brew to be sold?? Sorry if this has been discussed already. http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/news/minnesota/home-brews-legal-to-sell-mn-apr-2-2010
People still will need some sort of permit though. I think this is a very good step and hopefully other states will follow? I would gladly buy and sell to my friends, and sell to others. I would be nervous to buy from people I am not friends with though!

It is now legal for home brewers in Minnesota to sell their beverages and concoctions to the public, as long as they are brewed in the basement of a building.

I don't think it would matter much here in LA. Almost nobody has a basement.

This also sounds like a good way to ensure more people die from asphyxiation when they decide to move their outdoor brewing down to the basement where there's poor ventilation, just so they can sell some homebrew at a party.

EDIT:

I mean, really...what ******* came up with the wording on that law? Have to be brewed in the basement of a building? Who ****ing thought of that?

EDIT 2:

I see the actual wording is that it's permissible to brew in the basement...still annoys the hell out of me.

OK on further review, while this technically might allow someone to sell homebrew, I think the title and content of the article are misleading.

So far as I can tell, all this really does for the aspiring commercial brewer is that they can brew in their basement so long as they have passed all of the required inspections, are licensed, etc. So for some potential brewers I guess this would mean they could save on rent and operate as a home business. But then again, a detached structure on the same property (a.k.a. "garage" or "brew shed") would have accomplished the same thing before the change.

I suppose the other technicality, that I only have picked up on because I was doing my taxes last night, is that if the business is located within the residence, rather than a detached structure, they are allowed to deduct that portion of the residence used exclusively for brewing in Schedule C.

Back