Help - Old Style Corny Keg Lid Vent

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KopyKat

Reaction score
I have two kegs with a plastic threaded vent that bulkheads into a 1/2" hole in the keg lid as opposed to the one with the raised stainless threaded kind that the poppet and ring thread directly into the top of the keg.

When taken apart there is not way to get to the internal parts so the whole thing has to be replaced. The only kind I can find are the kind shown in the picture at this site. In the upper left hand corner of this page it shows 4 small valves. Mine looks like the second from the left.

Pull Ring Pressure Relief Valve for Grey AND Black PRVs Pressure Relief Valve [PRValve - GPRing] - $9.95 : CHI Company ball lock kegs for sale, Home brewing and vending, beer kegs, Pepsi vending machines, flavor strips and vending labels

I have been unable to find a replacement valve and it looks like I will have to replace the lid as well. Anyone know a source for these older type valves?

Edit: On the same site I found a picture of the valve. They sell the seat o rings and say that the o rings are probably the problem. However, mine is leaking out of the vent holes, not the seat so it is the valve itself that needs replacing.

http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=592

SOL.

They're out of production as far as I can tell.

Get a stopper and an airlock for that hole and ferment in a corny.
B

I have corny keg with a plastic lid , and when I got it the gasket was missing on the pressure relief valve. I cut out a little circle of red rubber gasket sheet, shaved it down to the right thickness, and superglued it on the end of mine to seal it. It came off once when I took it apart to clean it, but I just glued it on again. I haven't had any leaks and I'm on my 4th batch of beer stored in that keg.

Seems like there should be some sort of pressure relief valve that could be adapted from some other purpose like a campbell manufacturing RV2N200 which unfortunately does not have a manual release. I'd bet there is a water heater relief valve that could be adapted.

Edit: Oh, something like this http://www.bicwarehouse.com/pressure-relief-valve-kh21.html only in stainless.

Any one know of any places that would have this type of pressure relief valve? I am looking around for a couple since two of my kegs have this style lid. I am assuming that I may just need new lids, but was seeing if I can get them to work before heading that route.

FYI: My lid didn't seal when I tried hooking it up and was leaking. The hex style plug was slightly rusted and it may need a new o-ring also. I don't want rust anywhere near my beer. The tip of the pressure relief valve that would make contact with my beer had rust on it.

images.jpg

Back