Double Mashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockweezy

Reaction score
I am going to brew an AG Oatmeal Stout that I have brewed once before that came out excellent. The only problem was that the mash was got stuck at the begginging of the sparge for about an hour while I fixed it. It trickled out after that and the sparge took forever. I read in BYO that for cereal mashing you can make a double mash, one for the normal grains and one for the oatmeal. Has anyone ever done this?

I am using 1 lb of oatmeal for a 10 gallon brew. I am thinking of seeping the Oatmeal at 152 degrees like a PM might do but I dunno. I really don't want another annoying stuck sparge.

I always add some rice hulls to the mash when I do an oatmeal stout, or any wheat beers. The hulls create a better filter bed and help prevent the stuck sparge. works for me every time.

How about flaked oats. There preGelatinized so you dont have to do a cereal mash. Iv used them and I didn't have a stuck sparge. I use a braid in a cooler to sparge with.

How about flaked oats. There preGelatinized so you dont have to do a cereal mash. Iv used them and I didn't have a stuck sparge. I use a braid in a cooler to sparge with.

Same here, i use a 1/2 lb for a 5 gallon batch and had no issues with sparging. Palmer suggests a 20 minute Beta-Glucen rest at 110* when using 1lb in 5 gallons. It is supposed to help with Lautering. But I don't think it's necessary with the amount your using.

I find that rice hulls are dirty and impart unpleasant dirt flavors. Pre-boil a small amount of water, and add your adjunct so that they may fully gelatinize. Then add this to your malt. A 15 minute rest at around 130 F will help, as will the durable husk of a good 6-row barley.

I don't know if this was a good idea, but what I did was just put my oatmeal in a nylon bag and put them into the mash at 152*. Maybe I will lose a little bit of flavor, but at least my sparge wasn't stuck. Any thoughts?

Back