Lager-Like Ale.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

venquessa

Reaction score
I'm looking of a recipe for my next 5 gallon batch.

I'd like to try an extract Lager-like, ie. Light malts, pilsner levels of hops (hoping to use Saaz for bitter and flavor/aroma), and Ale yeast, warm ferment.

Any ideas?

18C/64F is about the lowest ambient I can get for 5gl without putting the FV bin out in the apartments shared hallway and that would leave it exposed to some very cold nights and I couldn't guarantee it would stay above 57F.

Try a Kolsch or California Common recipe. If you keep the temps at the low end of the yeast, you'll end up with an incredible crisp, clean lager-like beer.

18C/64F is about the lowest ambient I can get for 5gl without putting the FV bin out in the apartments shared hallway and that would leave it exposed to some very cold nights and I couldn't guarantee it would stay above 57F.

That is pretty warm, as fermentation itself produces heat and sometimes it can be as much as 8-10 degrees warmer than ambient, especially in the summer.

You can try a water bath, like in a bin or a cooler, with a couple of frozen water bottles exchanged out every couple of days and I bet you could keep it at 16-17C.

Thanks Yooper.
I've been thinking about this as well.
My basement is about 60 right now, but I don't quite have a good temperature control set up yet to ferment in the low fifties, so I've been reluctant to try a lager.

The cooling bath method scares me. I have far too much carpet around here to mess with huge bins of water :) Not to mention my coolest room is the bedroom! SWMBO must be carefully worked around. An FV I can hide in the corner... a 10gl flower planter with a FV bin in it, I can't :)

I suppose I can just ferment at the lowest I can and accept what I get. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work :) I didn't mind my Coopers Lager fermented at 22C with ale yeast.

Is it considered "too plain" to just use Extra Light DME + Hops? Would this be "bland beer"?

The cooling bath method scares me. I have far too much carpet around here to mess with huge bins of water :) Not to mention my coolest room is the bedroom! SWMBO must be carefully worked around. An FV I can hide in the corner... a 10gl flower planter with a FV bin in it, I can't :)

I suppose I can just ferment at the lowest I can and accept what I get. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work :) I didn't mind my Coopers Lager fermented at 22C with ale yeast.

Is it considered "too plain" to just use Extra Light DME + Hops? Would this be "bland beer"?

As a minor point, the cooper's "lager" fermented at 22C with ale yeast was an ale. It's just called a lager for their selling purposes. If you like it, then you like ales as it should be a bit "fruitier" than any lager you'll ever have.

22C is even high for ale fermentation, but if you like it then you can continue at that temperature without any worries.

Back