What to do with a 1/4 barrel keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRainH2o

Reaction score
I just bought a couple of 15.5 gallon kegs. One to use as a keggle, the other.......just because it was there. I'm sure it will come into use some day.

I also found a 7.5 gallon short 1/4 keg. Is this too small to use as a HLT tank if I went all grain? Any other possible uses for it in home brewing?

Orange Carboy cap fits over the top if you soak it in really hot water and get it stretchy first. Also, an overnight soak in HOT Oxiclean Free cleans mine spic & span!

How is the cleaning of those fermenters after you've used them? Is it much different then cleaning a glass carboy?

Just curious.

-Okt

the main problem with cleaning is that you cannot really see the gunk. I just fill mine with oxyclean and water and let them site for a few days, rinse well and the use star-san.

If you're really paranoid about cleaning them, you can put a gallon or so of water in them and direct fire them on your burner. (Without a top on them of course.) I don't know of much gunk that could stand up to that with a soak of oxiclean afterwards.

I have one that I'm trying to make into a HLT but I had to drill the hole for the valve in the middle of the tank because of those dern ribs! I can still get 4 gallons out but I have to heat up 7.5 gallons to get that, any ideas?

I have one that I'm trying to make into a HLT but I had to drill the hole for the valve in the middle of the tank because of those dern ribs! I can still get 4 gallons out but I have to heat up 7.5 gallons to get that, any ideas?

you could use a tube attached to the inside of the valve going to the bottom of the HLT and I figured a pic would show it better so I made one.

vmua7l.png

same concept as what I've seen with bottling buckets just the inner tube is a bit longer

Thanks for the relpy count, I have a 1/2 copper pipe going to the bottom of the keg & I've tried a 1/2 hose & a 3/4 inch sparge arm going out. It doesn't work. I can't get enough of a flow to get or even keep the siphon going....any other ideas?

Thanks for the relpy count, I have a 1/2 copper pipe going to the bottom of the keg & I've tried a 1/2 hose & a 3/4 inch sparge arm going out. It doesn't work. I can't get enough of a flow to get or even keep the siphon going....any other ideas?

you might be able to rig up a small pump like on the brew ladder, not on my computer so I dont have the link to it but will post when I get home tonight, to pump it out instead of to the HLT.

Other than that all I can think of is a pair of ove gloves and do some heavy lifting

EDIT: here's the link to the pump http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200384668_200384668

Latest posts

Back