Stalled Fermentations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jettaman

Reaction score
Got a newbie query: Does using liquid yeast result in fewer stalled fermentations? The last batch I brewed stalled and used dry yeast. Are there any types that are less likely to stall? Educate me, oh Uber Brewers!

I've had fewer stalls with dried yeasts. Making a starter almost eliminates stalls.

I don't know if liquid yeast is any better than dry at surviving the cold. (My brew closet averages 10c; with ale yeast, my fermentation is slow but it keeps going (I'm considering keeping it alive as low temp ale yeast)).
How much better is liquid than dry? (not a rhetorical question)

By the way I pitched a Nottingham yeast rehydrated in warm, unhopped wort.

catfish said:
I don't know if liquid yeast is any better than dry at surviving the cold. (My brew closet averages 10c; with ale yeast, my fermentation is slow but it keeps going (I'm considering keeping it alive as low temp ale yeast)).
How much better is liquid than dry? (not a rhetorical question)

By the way I pitched a Nottingham yeast rehydrated in warm, unhopped wort.

Liquid yeast is far superior than dry yeast because you already have a slurry of a something billion yeast cells already woke up and ready to go. When you warm your yeast up and pitch it into your brew which is colder at 50 degress it shocks the yeast. Thats why your having a hard time. Your shocking and killing the yeast. Warm that puppy up a little. Get a brew belt. Or be inginuitive and make something to keep it warm. I have used an electric blanket and made like a donut around the brew, but not touching it, and that creates the right temp around it slowly bringing the temp to where it should be.

Brew Your Own, Jan-Feb '06 Issue has a good article on yeast, dried and liquid.

Did y'all know that Hoptown Brewing in Pleasanton, CA won a gold medal at the Great American Beer Festival this year for their IPA brewed w/ Fermentis US-56 strain of dried yeast? pretty cool.......

DeRoux's Broux said:
Brew Your Own, Jan-Feb '06 Issue has a good article on yeast, dried and liquid.

Did y'all know that Hoptown Brewing in Pleasanton, CA won a gold medal at the Great American Beer Festival this year for their IPA brewed w/ Fermentis US-56 strain of dried yeast? pretty cool.......

Ok i see where you going with this and im not anti-dry yeast. I use dry yeast all the time, but when a batch of beer is done i collect the slurry from my fermenator stainless, pay out the nose, conical and repitch the yeast in another beer. Many a brews have been won with dry yeast, but in his situation slurry is better.

me either. i just thought that was wild. i'm a die hard White Labs guy. i just had read that article and was intrigued by how much better the dried yeast is getting.

I favor the safbrew s-33 for my ales, gives a clean taste and lets the malt shine through

usmcruz said:
I favor the safbrew s-33 for my ales, gives a clean taste and lets the malt shine through

I use safale-56 or nottingham in just about every batch now. I love the stuff. If you forget a starter, no problem. Active fermentation in 3 hours (or usually much less). Can't get that with liquid yeast.

Because it is so cheap, you can pitch 2 packets, and still have more active cells than pitching with a liquid starter.

ORRELSE said:
I use safale-56 or nottingham in just about every batch now. I love the stuff. If you forget a starter, no problem. Active fermentation in 3 hours (or usually much less). Can't get that with liquid yeast.

Because it is so cheap, you can pitch 2 packets, and still have more active cells than pitching with a liquid starter.

Your right you cant get three hour active fermentations with liquid yeast, its around two, but thanks for sharing

Back