Primary/Secondary Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctkevin

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to brewing and have found myself in a bind. I've been brewing too much and don't have enough secondarys. I currently have a Wheat (from a True Brew Kit) in primary for the past 10 days and also a California Common in the primary for the past 7 days. I also have an American Amber in a secondary thats been there for the past week. My problem is I only have one empty secondary. I also have an extra corny keg but I plan to put my American Amber in there next week.

So my question is, do I rack my Wheat to secondary and leave the California Common in primary for another week until I transfer my Amber to the keg? Or since both the CC and Wheat will be bottled in the end, so should I just bottle one of them now? If so, does it matter which one?

Thanks!

Kevin

I don't think you have to rack any of those, especially the wheat. The secondary is maily for clarification and maturation, strong beers improve with some time in the secondary but most "regular" strenth beers don't really need the time in the secondary. Just make sure the beer has fully attenuated and then bottle it. You could "lager" the CC for a couple of weeks, if you have the ability.

Thanks.

Unfortunatly I don't yet have the ability to lager. I have an extra fridge, but I haven't picked up the tempature controller yet. But I'm confused. I thought the point of the CC was to produce a lager at ale tempatures?

Kevin

You are right, that is the point of CC, but there's no harm in lagering for a week or two, it will allow the flavors to mellow out and become cleaner. As for the other beer, you don't really need secondary time unless you want them to clear up or mellow further.

Back