Y'know what America needs more of?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been to 4 and 5 star restaurants and some of the most interesting eateries in America and abroad, and I will say without embarrassment... Denny's is awesome. Anyplace where you can show up hammered within mere inches of your life and gesture your way to a plate of eggs is a-ok in my book.

My pet Facebook peeve is the plethora of "Share/repost/make this your status if you care about ____" posts.

They're narcissistic creations of people who just like to see their creations proliferate as widely as possible. And people fall for it, over and over and over.

If you want to see 1,000's of lemmings reposting something you made, here's the recipe:

1.) Start with a picture of a cute animal, or a short, sickeningly sweet story about a wounded soldier or some 5-year-old girl with terminal brain cancer who just wants to be a ballerina/princess. The story should be completely fake, as you can really stretch your creative legs and make it over-the-top heartbreaking when you're not constrained by the truth.

2.) Add a message to the picture or end of the story, something hopelessly idealistic and overly simplistic or totally impractical, like "If we all adopted just 3 African babies, we could end world hunger."

3.) Finish off by appealing to everyone's white guilt to spread the message, and imply that if they don't, then they must hate puppies/veterans/freedom. "Repost this if you think shootings like Sandy Hook need to be stopped."

Sit back and watch soccer-moms everywhere "Like" your post and share it.

My pet Facebook peeve is the plethora of "Share/repost/make this your status if you care about ____" posts.

They're narcissistic creations of people who just like to see their creations proliferate as widely as possible. And people fall for it, over and over and over.

If you want to see 1,000's of lemmings reposting something you made, here's the recipe:

1.) Start with a picture of a cute animal, or a short, sickeningly sweet story about a wounded soldier or some 5-year-old girl with terminal brain cancer who just wants to be a ballerina/princess. The story should be completely fake, as you can really stretch your creative legs and make it over-the-top heartbreaking when you're not constrained by the truth.

2.) Add a message to the picture or end of the story, something hopelessly idealistic and overly simplistic or totally impractical, like "If we all adopted just 3 African babies, we could end world hunger."

3.) Finish off by appealing to everyone's white guilt to spread the message, and imply that if they don't, then they must hate puppies/veterans/freedom. "Repost this if you think shootings like Sandy Hook need to be stopped."

Sit back and watch soccer-moms everywhere "Like" your post and share it.

I feel compelled to "Like" your post. But I don't believe in African babies.

I feel compelled to "Like" your post. But I don't believe in African babies.

I was conflicted over how I could answer this in the most snarky way possible ;)

so, here's both:

#1 - that's OK, because African babies believe in YOU!

#2 - what, you don't believe that African babies exist?

I miss NY/NJ/CT diners....There is nothing comparable here, not even Waffle House.

+1

Great food at any time. You can walk in at 3 in the morning and get eggs with links or patties, fries with cheese and gravy, or a gyro.

My veggie father served me a meal once that he said had meat in it. After I ate it he said, "Guess what? It really didn't have meat, it had (some fake veggie cr@p) instead. Surprise!" I then s#%t for 2 days straight.

So now when he comes to visit, I put meat in his food.....you know, as a secret surprise!

That´s somehow wrong... I not a vegetarian but I dated one for years... I will never pull something like that to a vegetarian

I miss NY/NJ/CT diners....There is nothing comparable here, not even Waffle House.

Yes - I miss 2 things about NYC - Diners and Deli. You can't get good diner food or a decent corned beef on rye north of the Tappan Zee Bridge. You just can't! And don't get me started on what passes for a kosher dill pickle around here.:mug:

Although - I do like Waffle House. :D

b-boy said:
Yes - I miss 2 things about NYC - Diners and Deli. You can't get good diner food or a decent corned beef on rye north of the Tappan Zee Bridge. You just can't! And don't get me started on what passes for a kosher dill pickle around here.:mug:

Although - I do like Waffle House. :D

There are a few excellent diners in orange and dutchess counties - you just have to drive to them. North of Hyde Park is the dividing line for me.

I miss delis so much. Would it kill the South to learn how to make a proper Italian combo? We had this great deli by Sacred Heart that made custom sandwiches: prosciutto, roasted peppers, mozzarella, and balsamic all on a sub. Simply heaven.

+1

Great food at any time. You can walk in at 3 in the morning and get eggs with links or patties, fries with cheese and gravy, or a gyro.

My veggie father served me a meal once that he said had meat in it. After I ate it he said, "Guess what? It really didn't have meat, it had (some fake veggie cr@p) instead. Surprise!" I then s#%t for 2 days straight.

So now when he comes to visit, I put meat in his food.....you know, as a secret surprise!

I have an allergy to soy. A bad one. If someone did that to me, I'd be livid. I'd suffer through the four days it takes for me to recover, then all hell would be unleashed. You just can't play with stuff like this.

I have an allergy to soy. A bad one. If someone did that to me, I'd be livid. I'd suffer through the four days it takes for me to recover, then all hell would be unleashed. You just can't play with stuff like this.

That's how I feel. There's nothing I can't eat personally, but I know enough people allergic to foods and ingredients that its not something to play with. If I find out a person is a vegetarian or gluten free, I will try my best to accommodate them.

Can someone be allergic to cactus? There was a while there that I was trying over and over to make something delicious with cactus, and came up short. Got to the point where I had to be sneaky. Probably unethical.

I´ve tried to cook some home made spagetthi with cactus... it was a little more disgusting than your okra mead :D but I didn´t put in youtube :p. Slimey disgusting spagetthi... that was a terrible idea.

I'm answering the title of the thread.

Shows about addictions and how strange they are.

shiny new AHA & NRA members

ahanra2.jpg

Seriously grog, if you get another thread locked thats just intended to make people laugh I am warning you, I WILL hit you with a salmon.

Seriously grog, if you get another thread locked thats just intended to make people laugh I am warning you, I WILL hit you with a salmon.

hey! you must have me confused with some other Richard Cranium, because I'm only responsible for 2 threads being locked

the last one was some Occupy putz raging against TxBrew's machine

and that Life of Duty membership looks to be for AD, not veteran, or I would have been all over that

hey! you must have me confused with some other Richard Cranium, because I'm only responsible for 2 threads being locked

the last one was some Occupy putz raging against TxBrew's machine

and that Life of Duty membership looks to be for AD, not veteran, or I would have been all over that

I remember you being at least 1/2 to blame for a thread that was locked due to a dispute over the validity of fruit-based pastry.

im%20watching%20you%20-%20copia.jpg

I remember you being at least 1/2 to blame for a thread that was locked due to a dispute over the validity of fruit-based pastry.

that's 1 I take FULL credit for. dude started by calling me names, told a "yo mamma" joke and I unloaded on him.

the other was my "under carbed fix" thread. someone used the fix, it worked and he called it "amazing." other dude said, 'big whoop, what's so amazing about it?' and I might have overreacted a bit. because, really... is that kind of post helping out at all?

Last thing I will say on the matter is that so far I have had 2 posts deleted total in a year. I havent been the cause of any threads locking, and I'm the guy who told a forum full of parents that they probably had crappy kids (not my finest moment). Food for thought.

Don't be that guy, bro.

Now back to crap that America needs more of, overpriced coffee drinks.

I'm the guy who told a forum full of parents that they probably had crappy kids

some people just can't handle the truth, but to be honest, they have crappy kids because they're crappy parents

and, on with the show...

America Needs More: family NON-friendly restaurants; your screeching brats aren't adorable and you're selfish for subjecting a restaurant full of people to your hellspawn. your kid acts like a spoiled spaz because YOU ALLOW IT. have more consideration for the 6 billion OTHER people on the planet and leave the little eefs at home. better yet, stay there with them

Just to be fair, I walked into our favorite Japanese place last night with my wife for valentines day, and there was a couple with a single friend and a 2 year old. I thought "oh great, who brings a child to a nice restaurant during valentines day?!" I figured we'd have to hear screaming and crying the entire time.

Turns out the little guy was a sushi eating machine (points won). Every now and then he'd giggle a little bit... nothing ear piercing... and he was polite to the server. I think "Tah koo" is thank you in small child right?

Back