double chocolate stout (ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickWG

Reaction score
Well, If you all remember I had brewed a double chocolate stout from AHS that had some troubles I won't go into here. I chilled it down last night after 10 days in the bottle and O MY GOD! is it a wonderful beer. I can't recommend this beer enough. It's a young's double chocolate stout recipe. If you're looking for a good, damn good beer this one is it. (Well, at least mine turned out good.)
:)

dibby33 said:
Does it actually taste of chocolate? I have some females after a choc beer

Slightly. I think if it tasted too much more like chocolate it would be unpalatable. (I don't really like chocolate that much and I think it's wonderful) The recipe added an ounce of cocoa powder but I've heard of some here who put 4 ounces in or more. (for 5 gallons)

Really a good beer. I can't say it enough.

Ta Rick,
I see a quest for the perfect female chocolate beer coming on...
I just made a chocolate / coffee porter but have added WAY too much coffee and that is all that I can taste. also it wakes you up like getting kicked in the head!

FullStop Chocolate Stout...

I am not explaining this and not entering further into conversation for names. Lets just say sometimes chocolate is called for ;)

I made an Imperial Stout a few weeks back and added a cup of bakers cocoa with the bittering hops. After the boil it was so thick and heavy I couldn't get a decent whirlpool and had to pour it through a strainer. With all the cocoa solids that were strained out I thought it might have been a waste, but it had a nice chocolate flavor when it came out of the primary.

I also added 2 oz. grated ginger with the flavor hops, and might juice more fresh ginger to add when bottling this weekend. This one's definitely for the wife and sister-in-law, but I plan to enjoy some too!

Yeah, I'll post the recipe that came with the kit. I seem to remember that it was pretty complete. You can't get the recipe off the AHS website but it comes with the kit. If you want you could just order the one from AHS. (I don't have the recipe here but will post this weekend.)

I did add another lb of DME cause I can't just make a kit without adding my own flair.

Mine is in the secondary currently and I'm looking forward to it.

I did the partial mash and if I remember correctly, the recipe called for 2.5 lbs of Maris Otter along with Choclate Malt, Crystal 40, Black Patent, and Roasted Barley (I don't rememer the exact amounts on each of those but it was all about 1/8 to 1/4 lb on everything but the Choclate which was 3/4 lb).

Once the mash was complete, I added 5 lbs of Dark Extract along with malto dextrine. The only hops were 1 oz of Galena for 60 minutes.

The choclate is added at bottling. I'm about 4 weeks from drinking it still.

Latest posts

Back