Cold "crashing"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nwa-brewing

Reaction score
So i am beyond ready to bottle my crabapple wine! I am going to be racking the wine off what little lease is in the bottom. When i move them to the next containers i will be adding sorbate and campden, could i also put it in the fridge to expedite the dropping of any leftover lease?

Most definitely. Just transfer any residual wine/lees into smallest container available, seal it, and allow to chill until the lees settle down, and simply rack off the residual clear wine. Just keep above freezing.

But, if you still have sediment now, you are not ready to bottle. You ideally want NO sediment to drop for 30-60 days after the last racking before bottling. Also, if you plan to dose prior to bottling with k-meta (and sorbate, if backsweetening), you will almost have sediment drop within two weeks that you will want to rack off of and then bottle.

So i did this and wracked back onto campden and sorbate and also degassed. Checked this morning had lease collecting at the bottom already is that normal?

So i did this and wracked back onto campden and sorbate and also degassed. Checked this morning had lease collecting at the bottom already is that normal?

Yes. Degassing is unusual, for a non-kit wine, and I'm not surprised that stirring the **** out of it caused a ton of lees to fall afterwards!

If you just made this wine, you're about 6 months away from bottling so degassing is more likely to oxidize it than to help anything.

Yes. Degassing is unusual, for a non-kit wine, and I'm not surprised that stirring the **** out of it caused a ton of lees to fall afterwards!

If you just made this wine, you're about 6 months away from bottling so degassing is more likely to oxidize it than to help anything.

The wine has been going for a few months so shouldn't be that far from bottling.

Why is degassing not normal for non kit wines?

The wine has been going for a few months so shouldn't be that far from bottling.

Why is degassing not normal for non kit wines?

Normally, wines are racked every 45-60 days as long as they are dropping lees, so since most fruit wines will need 3-4 rackings before starting to age for the final 60 days (at least), they will be degassed naturally by then.

Latest posts

Back