Hoppy Brown Ale Thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwilly006

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a bunch of leftover hops and grains so I decided to come up with a recipe. Being a huge fan of hoppy IPA's I at first wanted to do another IPA but with three IPA's going right now I decided to switch it up a little bit but still keep the hoppyness. I decided to go with a Hoppy Brown Ale and here is what I came up with:

5LBS Light LME
3LBS Briess Extra Light DME
10OZ Chocolate Malt
8OZ CaraVienne
8OZ Crystal 60L
4OZ Carapils

Boil 60 mins 1.0 Columbus (Tomahawk)
Boil 20 mins 0.2 Amarillo
Boil 20 mins 0.1 Columbus (Tomahawk)
Boil 20 mins 0.4 Simcoe
Boil 15 mins 0.2 Amarillo
Boil 15 mins 0.1 Columbus (Tomahawk)
Boil 15 mins 0.4 Simcoe
Boil 10 mins 0.2 Amarillo
Boil 10 mins 0.1 Columbus (Tomahawk)
Boil 10 mins 0.4 Simcoe
Boil 5 mins 0.2 Amarillo
Boil 5 mins 0.1 Columbus (Tomahawk)
Boil 5 mins 0.5 Simcoe
Boil 1 min 0.2 Amarillo
Boil 1 min 0.1 Columbus (Tomahawk)
Boil 1 min 0.5 Simcoe

.75 Simcoe Dry Hop
.75 Amarillo Dry Hop

I will be using the appropriate amount of Safale US-05. The estimated OG is 1.080 and estimated FG is 1.022.

The LME/DME/grains sound like it will be pretty good.

Looks like it will be plenty hoppy, so that will achieve your goal of a hoppy brown.

Did you consider aa in this recipe? I assume you are using everything you have of those 4 hops?

Did you consider aa in this recipe? I assume you are using everything you have of those 4 hops?

I have all of the information inputed oh Hopville with my AA levels adjusted as the Columbus was a little low and the Amarillo is at 9.2%. I am currently sitting at 66.9 IBU's. Even after this recipe I think I will have 2oz Simcoe (Which I want to save for something else), 7.75oz Amarillo, and 14.45oz Columbus.

http://hopville.com/recipe/1356837/american-brown-ale-recipes/iiba

Back