German IPA thoughts and ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gavmasterj

Reaction score
I'm in germany and I can't find an IPA anywhere. I want to brew one that isn't entirely radical in the eyes of a german, yet is still true to the American IPA beer style. I figure I can acheive this with all german ingredients, a color that stays on the lighter side, and typical fruity hints of an american IPA.

Here is what I've come up with. Feel free to give suggestions or ideas.

Boil Volume 3.5 gallons
Batch Size 5 gallons
Yeast 75% AA

1.00 German Wheat (steeped)
1.00 German Carahell (steeped)
4.00 Munich Light
1.00 Pils Two-row
4.00 LME Syrup

0.50 Perle 8.0 AA% for 60 minutes
0.50 Perle 8.0 AA% for 35 minutes
1.00 Tettnanger 4.5 AA% for 15 minutes
1.00 Hallertau Mittelfruh 4.5 AA% for 5 minutes

OG 1.065
FG 1.016
IBU 44
ABV 6.3 %
SRM 8

Ill also want to dry hop some sort of fruity aroma hop - whatever is available

Cheers!

I love the idea of a German IPA, have kicked it around myself. As bobbrews put it above, this recipe looks more like a pale ale. Don't be afraid of the hops, boost em up and take into account how mild most German hops are. Without running the #s it looks like you could make the 60 min addition a full ounce, perhaps 1.25 or so ounces. Then double the 15 and 5 minute additions along with a couple ounces of Hallertau or Tradition hops dry-hopped for 3-5 days. But that's just my opinion... which you asked for! ;)

Would like to know what you decide on and how it turns out. Good luck!

Back