How to tell if yeast is ale or lager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maegnar

Reaction score
Hi!

My question mostly concerns extracts, since when one does an all-grain, he probably chooses whichever yeast he wishes.

But when buying an extract, the packet of yeast usually comes with the malt can. I believe that sometimes the "Ale" word on the label might be misleading and yeast will be bottom-fermenting ones.

So is there a way of telling which yeast is it? I've got my first brew bottled (Brewferm Christmas) and I just don't know if it's Ale or Lager... Initially I thought it is an Ale, but after reading a bit more and figuring that this Christmas beer should be kept at lower temps (~10C) for extended period, I begin to think that it's actually a lager.

if you don't know the strain of the yeast the ferm temp in the instructions would give you a indication. generally yeast fermented above 60 f will be ale below 55 f will be lager. there are a few exceptions.

That meaning the temps while it's in a primary/secondary or after it's been bottled?

Back