Corney Weight and CO2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digdan

Reaction score
I have a corney keg that I've drank quite a bit from. I'm going to bottle the rest but I need to know how many bottles/caps to santize and get ready.

I would think its simple math, maybe simpler than this.

The tare weight of my keg is 8lbs

when the keg was full it weighed 49lbs

The keg now weighs 23lbs

I need to subtract the tare weight from both the full kegs weight and the none-full kegs weight

liquid net weight = (full keg weigh total - keg tare weight) or (49 - 8)
wich is 41

Now for the not full weight. which is 23lbs - 8lbs(tare weight) = 15lbs

to get the % of weight left its simply (not full weight / full weight) or 15 divided by 41, which is 0.365 or roughly 37% of the liquid is left.

Now lets work in ounces. How many ounces are in my full five gallon corney keg? 128 ounces per gallon would make it (5 * 128) = 640 fl ounces.

if 100% = 640 ounces. Then 37% should be around 237 fl ounces.

237 fl ounces, each of my bottles being 12fl ounces would mean I would need around 20 bottles...

Is this correct, or does CO2 have significant weight that I should be calculating?

I don't have to be dead on, since I ussually clean more bottles and caps just incase I run into a problem, or get clumsey and drop a couple.

Also is there a simpler way to measure fluid ounces of beer on a weight scale? I noticed in this calculation I have 16.5fl ounces per pound. Or does beer variety change the actually weight per volume of beer, I could see how high alcohol beers would weigh less than low alcohol beers?

Thx

I wouldn't worry about the CO2 weight and get the pounds into ounces as quickly as possible.:confused:

Most liquids are right around 8lbs/gallon. You have 15lbs of beer left, divided by eight leaves you with about 2 gallons of beer. 2 gallons is about 22 12 once bottles. There, you're done.

:cross:

digdan said:
Also is there a simpler way to measure fluid ounces of beer on a weight scale?

When are you guys in the US colony going to break the finals ties with Mother England and ditch the Imperial measurement system? :mug: :tank:

Mikey said:
When are you guys in the US colony going to break the finals ties with Mother England and ditch the Imperial measurement system? :mug: :tank:

So says the man from the country with a picture of the Queen in every govm't building.:D

A pint a pound the world around, except Canada... then its 473 milliliters per 453 grams ;)

Back