Bottled Beer Straight from Spigot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BogusOwnz

Reaction score
When I bottled my last batch (2nd home brew) I bottled by pouring beer into the bottles straight from the spigot of the bottling bucket. Is this going to be a problem such as to much air in my bottles?

How did you carb it? with tabs or measured out priming sugar in each bottle. I have a feeling you will definetly taste some oxidation by doing it the way you described, but only time will tell.

I did 3/4 cup of priming sugar boiled with a cup of water and added it to the bottom of the bottling bucket and then siphoned the wort on top of it.

You added a lot of oxygen to your beer by using the spigot and not a bottling wand. Oxygen = Oxygenation, Oxygenation=Staling. Once your beer is carbonated (2 weeks) I would store it as cold as possible. You have shortened the shelf-life of your beer and may notice a cardboard flavor in a few months. This will depend a little on style and a lot on how good your pitching rate/fermentation were.

What did you brew?

Meh, I've done that a couple of times with no ill effects. I just made sure to tilt the bottle and keep a slow flow.

You probably won't notice the effects of oxidation for some time. So just drink it quickly. :)

Ok cool, thanks for calming my nerves. I did tilt every bottle to the side. I'll just make sure to use the bottling tube like did on my first beer. I'll be sure to drink them fast my first batch went in a month between my dad, guests and me so sontbis so this should be good.

Back