Adding Raisins to wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emerald

Reaction score
When you add raisins to your wine to help with the flavor-mouth feel, do you have to put boiling water over them first? Do you leave them whole or chop them up? I want to add some to my next batch of apfelwein and wasn't sure if you just toss them in or do something to them first.:confused:

Thanks! I wasn't sure, but since all the reading that I have done says that raisins really improve the flavor/mouth feel of fruit wines I figure I would try it. I must say that even young I am almost shocked that my young apple wine is comparable to the white wines that I buy... Makes me feel like I can make anything now!:D

Thanks! I wasn't sure, but since all the reading that I have done says that raisins really improve the flavor/mouth feel of fruit wines I figure I would try it. I must say that even young I am almost shocked that my young apple wine is comparable to the white wines that I buy... Makes me feel like I can make anything now!:D
I just bottled my first batch of apfelwein this weekend. Even 1 month young it still tasted better than the white wines at the store. Can't wait to try it in a month or two. I added cinnamon to that batch, it came out great. Raisins sounds like a good idea, I'll have to try it next time.

When I've added raisins to wines, I've poured boiling water over them 'cause I'm scared of bad bugs. I don't chop them, and I don't bag them. They float to the top of the fermenter after a day or so. So when it comes time to rack, or bottle, I just push the siphon under the raisins, and go for it.

Thanks for all the input! It is kinda scary to start stuff like this when there isn't anyone close to me that I can ask questions of. Lots of my friends and people that I have been working at the school with (Son is in Drama, and the play is Thursday, Friday and Saturday so I have been busy!) are all intrigued by the making of wine at home, but no one brews anything around here that I know of. It is a case of no makers but many volunteers to try it when it is ready!:D
I am starting to gather some more ingredients for another apfelwein for when my batch of cyser is aging in some nice free, gallon jugs that I scored! I want to maybe polish this batch a bit- a little cinnamon, some raisins-maybe just a bit of honey(I do love that light honey finish in meads).
I have been reading that some folks who make mead, rack it onto fruit the first time they rack and I was wondering if I rack my apfelwein into the one gallon jugs to age, if one or two of the gallons could have blueberries in the bottom? I was planning on buying rubber stoppers with an airlock for aging as none of the gallons had caps, so if it started fermenting again with berries in it, it should be ok.(so many questions, so little time!:D)

When flavouring mead, you can just add a few berries. But then you have to keep an eye on it.
We crack them, make a 'teabag' to put them in and steep them. Leave the teabag in there for about 3 weeks and remove it before ageing.
If ageing with an airlock, fill it with cheap vodka as water can go off over time. But better still, kill the fermentation with campden tablets and stow the jug away somewhere cool and dark where you can forget about it for a few years.

Back