Tap A Draft Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cackxt

Reaction score
Hola. I recently bottled a cream ale in my tap a draft bottles and primed using corn sugar. Well I let the bottles carb for 3.5 weeks. I placed a bottle in the fridge and waited 2 days. I "tapped" the bottles per instructions, and proceeded to put a co2 cartridge in the adapter and when the co2 was cracked I heard 2 different noises. The first was a distinct bubbling noise inside the bottle (which is good), and the second was a rush of gas coming from the neck of the bottle. I let the beer sit for a few hours then pulled a draft.

The beer tasted excellent and the pressure was just right! However after a few brews the pressure dropped, and the next day no dice. Nothing came out. I felt the bottle and it was semi firm.

Well I proceeded to take out the co2 plugs and pop in 2 fresh ones. Again I heard the same noises as above, and ultimately the same results followed.

My question for anyone with knowledge is why is it not staying pressurized? I am assuming the gas leaked from the neck of the bottle when opening the co2 and pressure leaked out over time. Is it the o-ring or is my tap scrap?

Thanks for any help.

Not familiar with that system. Could you post a link to the manufacturer? But logic says if you hear a gas leak then there is one. I dont think the beer is absorbing the co2 because you are not complaning of over carbed beer. There must be a leak. Can you insert a new cartridge activate it and the submerge the whole unit in a sink of water and see if you have any little bubbles escaping from a fitting or a plastic seam?

Oh i just found it on line. Did you try using teflon thread tape on all of you screw connections? Just a silly idea

Damn, what a simple answer. Thanks Hammer. I'll submerging in water tomorrow. And no I didn't use any teflon tape, but that might not be a bad idea. Thanks again.

Well I sent my tap a draft back to the manufacturer describing my plight and they said they'd take a look at it and if it wasnt the o-ring they'd refurbish the entire tap. I received my tap back with a little note that said they refurbished the tap. I filled a bottle with water and plugged in a co2 cartridge and sure enough it works like new. Now its time to chill a bottle of clubhouse cream ale and take a few back!!

Back