BlackMan Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just found out about this today and I'm pretty excited to try. Glad he got a mention in the new BA magazine. Totally subscribing and interested to hear the results.

Just bottled today,three weeks in,after two werks at 31c.
Eartiness as in Dupont and a hint of tartness that I feel will come over more wiyh carbonation.
Wait again

Had to do it.
Cracked the first bottle after five days.
Very little tartness.
A little earth/spice a la Dupont.
Some sweet banana/clove like a hefeweizen yeast.
So,it is coming over like a Blonde.
A little let down as of now. It is not bad at all,a pleasant beer in it's own right,just not what I wanted of it.
Wait again

3 weeks is no time for a mixed fermentation sour. I would have let it go until it was sour then packaged it, maybe 6-8 weeks. It may not sour further in the bottle. If you want sour beer in 3 weeks, kettle sour with just lacto, then pitch yeast when it's a low enough ph.

Oh,I know how to get sour in a few weeks,no worries on that front @youranimpulse.
My point is that I was doing it acvording to the advice of the yeast producer.
Plan: brew one according to advice. Brew two according to gut

Right?
Was told to ferment at about 20c for a week and then let it warm to "room temperature" for a "few weeks" for acid production.
I thought I had temperature on my side. It has been 31c average day/night here,so thought it would boost the L A production

Tried another bottle,as there was something bugging me about the taste. It reminded me of something,couldn't put my finger on it ,but knew I had not had this "something" in a long long time.
Bollocking Hoegaarden!
Bloody well tastes just like it.
Not a bad thing,if you like that sort of thing,but alas,as I was expecting "Saison",****e! Rage!
My in-laws will love me for this........

Father-in-law: not half bad,this one. Bit of sourness to it!
Think I must have had the sour equivelant to lupilin threshhold shift: LAB perception shift

Well,some time in the bottle has done very kind things to this beer.
There is now a very light,yet definate tartness coming through,with a little smoke/funk lingering on the palate.
Starts cleanish,malty,with hints of Wit/Weizen but grows up quickly

View attachment 1435934550276.jpg

Finally got around to checking my berliner weisse out and it was not a success for me. The lacto in the German Blend must be very hop sensitive as I used 14 hop pellets in my Berliner for a calculated IBU of 2.5 and the pH only dropped down to 4.05.

Just wanted to share a quick experience from buying yeast from Black Man.
Placed an order last Friday. Saturday got an email saying they had cancelled the order.
I emailed them to ask what was going on & Barrett responded that he was sorry, the system automatically cancels any order they haven't filled in 24 hours, and he was on the road and unable to fill it. He asked me to re-order Monday morning. I thought this was a little strange, but re-ordered again on Monday and put a note on the order to please contact me if it couldn't ship that day.

Yesterday I got my package. Barrett had included an ice pack (rare for dry yeast in my experience), a sticker, 8 ounces of free hops, and he had paid extra to ship it 2nd day delivery. There was a personally written note inside the package apologizing for the inconvenience, thanking me for the re-order, and a quick note on fermentation temps.

That is what you call solid customer service.

Anyway, i'll be doing a sour brown on Saturday. Will post some results.

Just wanted to share a quick experience from buying yeast from Black Man.

Placed an order last Friday. Saturday got an email saying they had cancelled the order.

I emailed them to ask what was going on & Barrett responded that he was sorry, the system automatically cancels any order they haven't filled in 24 hours, and he was on the road and unable to fill it. He asked me to re-order Monday morning. I thought this was a little strange, but re-ordered again on Monday and put a note on the order to please contact me if it couldn't ship that day.

Yesterday I got my package. Barrett had included an ice pack (rare for dry yeast in my experience), a sticker, 8 ounces of free hops, and he had paid extra to ship it 2nd day delivery. There was a personally written note inside the package apologizing for the inconvenience, thanking me for the re-order, and a quick note on fermentation temps.

That is what you call solid customer service.

Anyway, i'll be doing a sour brown on Saturday. Will post some results.

Hey that's awesome. Would love to see how you approach your sour brown. I've been thinking about brewing one for some time. Just been swamped lately. Need to start thinking about how to formulate one.

I read this thread back in June on the day I was going to brew my Gose with a random pick-up of the BlackMan German sour yeast pack. I wanted to let folks in on what I did all the way through since there isn't much posted yet on it.

I did my standard Gose recipe but added the yeast pack on the wort without reconstitution. It fermented for a few weeks then I kegged.

The fermentation temp was 65 the whole time and it reached the target FG.

In our recent comp, it scored a 34. The judges thought it was well balanced but needed more character from the fermentation. I think it's not tart/sour enough either compared to others I've done. They commented it was only slightly tart too.

Depending on how sour you want your German sour, you may want to add your own bacteria or lactic acid as well.

My sour brown is just about ready. It has been bottled for 9 days.
I used the American sour blend, fermented at 70 for 2 weeks, then ramped up the temps to 84 for a week.
I was only able to get the ph to 3.9. Tasted the hydro tube sample and while you could definitely detect a sour note, it wasn't anywhere near the sours you taste at RR, Crooked stave, wicked weed, etc.

I saved the yeast/bacteria, although I've been reading how sacc that worked in such low ph environments really isn't suitable for re-use. Not sure how much truth there is behind this.

While the dry blends seemed like a really good idea at first for an easy sour beer option, I just don't know that you could ever get a really low ph sour beer without doing a sour mash or kettle sour. Interested in hearing other opinions on this.

So,my second generation re-pitch of slurry went into a re-brew three weeks ago.
1wk primary at 21c and then two weeks at 29c.
There is some definate balancing acidity to the residual sweetness.
This is a brew for somebody else,so I hopped at 20ibu and still got a little action,which is how the beer was asked for; just like the first one,but with a little more of evetything

My sour brown is just about ready. It has been bottled for 9 days.
I used the American sour blend, fermented at 70 for 2 weeks, then ramped up the temps to 84 for a week.
I was only able to get the ph to 3.9. Tasted the hydro tube sample and while you could definitely detect a sour note, it wasn't anywhere near the sours you taste at RR, Crooked stave, wicked weed, etc.

I saved the yeast/bacteria, although I've been reading how sacc that worked in such low ph environments really isn't suitable for re-use. Not sure how much truth there is behind this.

While the dry blends seemed like a really good idea at first for an easy sour beer option, I just don't know that you could ever get a really low ph sour beer without doing a sour mash or kettle sour. Interested in hearing other opinions on this.
You can definitely get a very sour beer without doing a sour mash or kettle sour.

I think the drying process may be particularly hard on these bacteria in these blends though... At least that's my guess at why the pH hasn't been dropping with these... I have been slacking though.. I still have 3 blends left to try. From what i've heard though... I think I'm going to be trying these in 1 gallon batches rather than full sized batches.

You can definitely get a very sour beer without doing a sour mash or kettle sour.

I think the drying process may be particularly hard on these bacteria in these blends though... At least that's my guess at why the pH hasn't been dropping with these... I have been slacking though.. I still have 3 blends left to try. From what i've heard though... I think I'm going to be trying these in 1 gallon batches rather than full sized batches.

Whats your process for getting low ph out of these dry sour blends? I meant that as far as using lacto goes, I'm not sure the dry blend works near as well as souring the mash or in the kettle.

Obviously pedio/brett is a completely different animal, and I wasn't meaning to compare to that method.

@sweetcell
That is the idea.
Barrett(Mr Blackman) advised me that the re-pitch of second generation slurry would be much closer to how he intended the blend to perform.

So,those of you who can do it,go ahead and brew a one or two gallon batch of which you have no expectations if sourness.
Bottle or teansfer at week three and have a new wort ready to go.

Whats your process for getting low ph out of these dry sour blends? I meant that as far as using lacto goes, I'm not sure the dry blend works near as well as souring the mash or in the kettle.

Obviously pedio/brett is a completely different animal, and I wasn't meaning to compare to that method.

That's just it... so far my experience has been a lack of sourness with these.

I've used other lacto strains and got very low pH without having to kettle or mash sour (~2.8.)

Hopefully it's as badlee suggests and the repitch will be more effective.

Both of mine, A4 and F4, are both still in secondary. I'm waiting for more sour/tart character to develop. Both brewed in May.

Back