What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went & got spring water for my next brew,& one block from home the exhaust broke. I'm broke,gotta wait for tax money to fix it.

Racked 6 gal of Honey Wheat Ale to the secondary,need the better bottle for
tomorrow.Washed the 2565 and got 3 half pints.

Cheers

Made a starter of Denny's Favorite 50 for a batch of Denny's Wry Smile Rye IPA and weighed out the grains and hops for the batch. Was planning on brewing it tomorrow, but I'm going to need to step up the starter so I will probably wait until Wednesday to brew. I also changed out the small blow off tube for a full 1" tube on a batch of Yooper's house Pale Ale. It's been in the fermentor for 8 days in a swamp cooler at 61F steadily fermenting, so yesterday I raised the temp a degree or so in preparation for removing it from the swamp cooler and today it was pushing krausen into the small tube attached to a three-piece airlock. I checked and the wort was only 63F but going to town. Glad I hadn't already switched from the small blow-off tube to an airlock.

Finished cleaning the brewery/man cave. gotta clean some bottles for bottling & my collection. Gunna use some quart size zip lock freezer bags to freeze water in for the wort chill on brewday. Hopefully tomorrow. A PM NZ IPA with marris otter,crisp pale malt,crystal 40L,etc. And 4 kinds of NZ hops to use'em up. Gotta start on IPA's,wheat ales,etc for summer.

Soaking some bottles, moved most my brown to keg, the rest is racked on coffee, brewed a pale ale

Added dissolved gelatin solution to my newly-kegged/chilled batch of Centennial Blonde Ale. First time I'm trying this method in hopes of clarifying. Fingers crossed, heheheh......

Racked my lager into a secondary, never did act like it was fermenting, but when I opened the bucket there was a large head of karusen (sp) so I hope it did something. Secondary in a glass carboy at about 45 degrees for ?? weeks. Tasted good. I guess that's what counts.

Unfortunately not much today.I had to work.But when I got home,
I had 1 each of my Heffs,Kolsch ,Blue Moon clone and a Chocolate
Vanilla Porter. Goin` to Brew-N-Grow tomorrow for supplies for thursdays
brew day.

Cheers

Made a dipstick. Inverted variety (measures from top of water to top of kettle).

image-934683867.jpg

Cleaned boil kettle, mash tun and heat exchange.
Cleaned kegs
Setup an appointment to have a new co2 regulator block priced out
Discussed expansion of brewroom plans
Pitched blackberries into the blackberry wheat

Dropped on 4 batches worth of ingredients and some small equipment bits at the LHBS. Was surprised at how low the total was. But still finally decided it's time to start buying ingredients in bulk. 55lb sacks of Pils, MO, and 2 row, and 1lb bags of EKG, Fuggles, Tettenang, Hallertau, Cascade, and Centennial and I've got core ingredients covered for most everything. And I'll start coordinating what I brew when to make re-pitching more practical.

Checked on some yeast I forgot about in the back of my fermenting closet.

image-103192287.jpg

I think it was a success. It's from a bottle of Hanger 24 Orange Wheat.

Bottled my extract APA. About to get starters going for this weekend's Cream Ale and Northern English Brown. Then I'll get my ESB and Oatmeal Stout up on the counter to settle out overnight for bottling tomorrow night.

Bottled a nut brown and brewed a 10-gallon batch of Centennial Blonde using a 5-gallon Rubbermaid cooler. That was an ungodly amount of batch sparging. I will definitely be taking my buddy up on his offer for a keg to convert to a mash tun. 5-gallons are being fermented with Nottingham, 5-gallons are being fermented with S05.

Bottled a nut brown and brewed a 10-gallon batch of Centennial Blonde using a 5-gallon Rubbermaid cooler. That was an ungodly amount of batch sparging. I will definitely be taking my buddy up on his offer for a keg to convert to a mash tun. 5-gallons are being fermented with Nottingham, 5-gallons are being fermented with S05.

That sounds like fun.:cross:

Brewed a big sour black ale, transferred a brown sour to secondary where it will be for the next year at least, transferred porter-ish to bottling bucket where it's going to hang out until tomorrow. Cleaned a lot.

Bottled my ESB and my Oatmeal Stout, and routinely shook the starter for the weekend's Brown Ale since the starter for the Cream Ale is hogging the stir plate.

Got my grains outta the fridge & hops outta the freezer for my PM NZ IPA today. Rainin so brewing instead of workin on the car.

Im bottling either tonight or tomorrow. Gonna be a long day, I got a smoked wheat kit and a 3 galloner of apfelwein ;).

Hey dr, remember that improvised bottling bucket I told you about?

Took a gravity reading and dry hopped my session IPA. First time dry hopping, smells delicious already, should only get better!

Did you mean me,CG? I was trying to remember. I'm in the middle of letting the mini food processor cool down a bit to finish crushing my grains. Gunna get a real crusher when fed return comes in.

Yes sir I did. I have a gallon and a half PET beverage holder with a little spout (usually people use it for iced tea etc.)

If I were to "keg" my apfelwein with priming sugar in there and let it condition for a while... could I conceivably have a gallon and a half of fizzy apfelwein "on tap"?

Am I seeing too rosy a picture?

Oh man, I had a hell of an experience, trying out my first all grain (biab) batch. Countless things went wrong... the worst being my wort chiller hose melting slightly. the one that feeds cold water in. Eventually the pressure burst a pin hole, causing hose water to spray my almost chilled wort. I had to yank the chiller out of the pot and cover the wort. What a day.

Busy day today,Made a a starter with 2565 for tomorrows Spotted Cow clone.
Then I head out to Brew-n-Grow for ingredients for the cow.Filled 54 bottles
with Honey Wheat ale from 3 weeks ago and finally checked gravity from last
weeks Cream of 3 Crops.Now I`m crusin` HBT and drinking one of my Kolsch
I made in Feb. -whew- Mash water fires up at 8 am tomorrow.

Cheers

I am patiently drinking my 22 oz bottle of Caribou Slobber, trying not to think about the fact that I have not yet seen visible signs of fermentation on my 10-gallons of blonde ale in the past 24 hours. I know, I know.........

I brewed an american wheat the other day, my first batch in months. I've brewed this recipe 3 times before and always came pretty close on gravity. I was completely caught off guard when I was 8 points under. So today I racked it onto 5 pounds of concord grapes that have been vac-sealed in my freezer for the last 6 months. Hopefully it will boost the gravity a bit, and I've been meaning to try the concords in a beer for a while since I still have 8 five-pound bags in the freezer.

Drank beer and scraped the labels off of bottles. This will be my first batch of homebrew that I will be bottling tomorrow. Will be using 2-12's of anchor bottles, 2-12's of Sierra Nevada bottles, and 1 case of boulevard bottles (man, I love that 80 acre). Any extra will be out of green flash bottles. This will be made from the brewers bet imperial pale ale kit. Excited!!!

Yes sir I did. I have a gallon and a half PET beverage holder with a little spout (usually people use it for iced tea etc.)

If I were to "keg" my apfelwein with priming sugar in there and let it condition for a while... could I conceivably have a gallon and a half of fizzy apfelwein "on tap"?

Am I seeing too rosy a picture?

The PET should hold the pressure but I'm not sure the lid will. The lids on those are usually pretty crappy and have a pop up vent usually no?

Crushed over 5lbs of grains yesterday in a mini food processor for tomorrows NZ IPA brew. Been wanting to try something like that Kiwi IPa I heard of,& have a ton of NZ hops to use up,&...well...neccesity being the mother of invention...:tank:

Replied to a post on Facebook about getting free beer bottles. Yes free! All different sizes and shapes can't wait.

Latest posts

Back