Fermentation...did I blow it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbrewguy11

Reaction score
Brewed first ever batch last Tuesday. Everything went according to plan, nothing too surprising. After about 24 hours, it started to bubble through airlock, I figured this was a good thing. After a few days though the bubbles essentially stopped, now they are completely stopped.

My two concerns are:
1) Fermentation was never really all the vigorous
2) The bubbling has stopped

The question, of course, is....is the beer ruined, just slow, or ?? And of course, what do I need to do next time.

newbrewguy11 said:
Brewed first ever batch last Tuesday. Everything went according to plan, nothing too surprising. After about 24 hours, it started to bubble through airlock, I figured this was a good thing. After a few days though the bubbles essentially stopped, now they are completely stopped.

My two concerns are:
1) Fermentation was never really all the vigorous
2) The bubbling has stopped

The question, of course, is....is the beer ruined, just slow, or ?? And of course, what do I need to do next time.

It's fine, that's natural. I think there's literally 12, 000 threads like this here haha

Haha, I figured there were a lot of threads but you know how it is....you brew your first batch and figure you blew it :)

Yup, pretty normal. Although, every fermentation is different. Bubbling in your airlock is not an accurate indication of the fermentation process (beat you to it Revvy!! :D ). Patience young Skywalker... (sorry, Star Wars is on in the background right now) Give it a couple weeks then take a reading with your hydrometer. If there seems to be a problem at that time, let us know and we can all discuss it further.

You're fine. Continue on a normal fermentation schedule and take a gravity reading when possible.

I really believe no one has any reason to worry unless the beer never visibly ferments *at all* (which can be fixed if you act quickly) or until there's a bad hydrometer reading (which can be fixed in a lot of cases.)

Thanks guys for all the reassurance. I've learned a lot here and I can't think everyone enough for all the help.

Best wishes for 2012 to all!

Latest posts

Back