Sweet Stout Trouser Mudd Sweet Wheat Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrookedTail

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
S-04
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Additional Fermentation
4 weeks conditioning
Tasting Notes
Silky smooth. This beer is absolutely delicious.
The name sounds nasty, but the beer rocks! The roasted malts counter the sweetness of the crystal malts perfectly, and the wheat gives this a full body. It has a creaminess to it that makes this brew awesome. It's one of my best beers.

Fermentables
6lbs Wheat LME
.75lbs Chocolate Wheat Malt
.75lbs Crystal 40L
.5lb Roasted Barley 300L
.5lb Crystal 60L
.25lb Crystal 120L

Hops
2oz Goldings @ 60min

Yeast
S-04

trousermudd1.jpg

trousermudd.gif

I am leaning towards pale DME, and mashing some actual wheat, I will not claim a new recipe however!

Thanks for sharing. The sam adams winter lager really opened my eyes to dark wheat.

cheezydemon3 said:
I am leaning towards pale DME, and mashing some actual wheat, I will not claim a new recipe however!

Thanks for sharing. The sam adams winter lager really opened my eyes to dark wheat.

Mash away! I'm sure it will be awesome!

just took a gravity reading after 2 weeks in the fermentor. absolutely AMAZING. very tasty stout. can't wait till this sucker is bottled. my gravity reading was 1.016 on the nose. I'll check again in the next couple days and bottle if if it's stable. my wife is giddy over the taste of this one.

Glad you like it! It's been a while since I brewed this. Now that it's come back up I'm going to put it in the schedule!

I am contemplating this one myself. Just wondering, I have a packet of wb-06 here atm. I wonder what difference it would be using that versus the S-04?

I am contemplating this one myself. Just wondering, I have a packet of wb-06 here atm. I wonder what difference it would be using that versus the S-04?

I wouldn't recommend it. WB-06 is a weizen strain. You're going to get funky esters that likely won't go well with the roast and caramel malts.

just wanted to thank you again for the GREAT recipe. I started drinking this bad boy 3 weeks after bottling. ... it was good. waited another week. it was great. waited another week or so and the thing is FREAKING PHENOMINAL. so good in fact that I have a second batch just bottled this last friday and am going to age for at least 2 months before drinking. definitely one I'm keeping in the pipeline

I would like to brew this recipe on Friday but I have a couple questions before I start.
Is this recipe for a full boil or a partial boil? What temperature did you ferment at? How long and at what temperature do you steep the grains?

Thanks for the replies in advance.

I would like to brew this recipe on Friday but I have a couple questions before I start.
Is this recipe for a full boil or a partial boil? What temperature did you ferment at? How long and at what temperature do you steep the grains?

Thanks for the replies in advance.

it's a partial boil.

ferment at 62-68

steep the grains for 30 minutes at 160 ish

on a side note. I'm making this again. great recipe. this time I'm just adding lactose sugar to make it into a milk wheat stout.

Thank you wormraper for the quick reply. I'm new to brewing but trying to learn. I've found that I get better tasting beer by doing full boils. If I were to do this as a full boil what would I need to change?
Thanks again.

Thank you wormraper for the quick reply. I'm new to brewing but trying to learn. I've found that I get better tasting beer by doing full boils. If I were to do this as a full boil what would I need to change?
Thanks again.

just cut the hops to 1.5 ounces vs. 2 ounces. you'll get better hop utilization in a full boil

Thanks again.

The main difference between a partial and full boil, is in a partial you should use the late extract addition method. In a full boil you can add all of it right away.

I'm glad some people enjoy this beer. I need to brew a batch of this, as it's been quite a while since I brewed it.

The main difference between a partial and full boil, is in a partial you should use the late extract addition method. In a full boil you can add all of it right away.

I'm glad some people enjoy this beer. I need to brew a batch of this, as it's been quite a while since I brewed it.

it's easily my most requested stout. cheap, smooth and VERY tasty. as I said in a previous post gonna brew this tomorrow but add a lb of lactose sugar to it to make it a cream o wheat stout :D

will do. I accidentally f-ed up when I brewed it this morning. I got STYRIAN goldings instead of the normal Kent Goldings.... x fingers

I wouldn't worry. The hops are a minor part of this beer. As long as the AAUs are similar you should be fine.

I wouldn't worry. The hops are a minor part of this beer. As long as the AAUs are similar you should be fine.

ahhh, that's good, the AAU's are identical, I was just worried that the more floral profile of the Styrians would screw up the flavor profile a bit. alls good it sound like. it's bubbling away nicely so hopefully I'll know how it is in the next 6 weeks :D

Transferred this to secondary yesterday after seven days in primary. Had to have a sample. It tastes very good. Can't wait for this to be done. Thanks again for the recipe.

Let me know how that turns out!

alrighty, about 15 days in the fermentor it has dropped to 1.027 after 3 consecutive gravity readings (a TEENSY bit higher fg than I expected but not by more than .004 points since I normally finish at 1.016-1.017 WITHOUT the .008 addition of the 1lb of Lactose)

VERY smooth, almost like drinking silk, a bit sweeter than normal but it has a nice coffee/chocolate aftertaste to it that is sexy as all get out. I'll bottle in a couple days and give it 3.5 oz of cane sugar to carb with.

all carbonated now. very nice, very nice indeed. the coffee and chocolate flavors come in very nicely and the sweet taste has been tempered. very very creamy with great head retention. I like the addition of the milk sugar. just may try it in a dryer stout since I like my beers a bit less sweet

all carbonated now. very nice, very nice indeed. the coffee and chocolate flavors come in very nicely and the sweet taste has been tempered. very very creamy with great head retention. I like the addition of the milk sugar. just may try it in a dryer stout since I like my beers a bit less sweet

Yeah that was why I never attempted to add it to this recipe. There's a lot of crystal malt in ithis beer, and I was worried that adding lactose would make it cloyingly sweet.

Yeah that was why I never attempted to add it to this recipe. There's a lot of crystal malt in ithis beer, and I was worried that adding lactose would make it cloyingly sweet.

luckily it's not cloyingly sweet. just a hint of it added... the chocolate malt helps hide the sugar. still a very good addition. maybe half a lb would give it the creaminess and reduce even the mild sweetness it added

Gonna bottle this tomorrow. It was brewed just as the recipe designated and man does it smell good.

I'll check back in 2 or 3 weeks when its fully carbed.

Gonna bottle this tomorrow. It was brewed just as the recipe designated and man does it smell good.

I'll check back in 2 or 3 weeks when its fully carbed.

Ok I lied I couldn't find chocolate wheat malt so i went with Black Prinz 585L. Now that it's 2 weeks old it is amazing. It's not fully carbed or aged but, everyone that tried it today wanted me to chill more.

I'm a noobling extract brewer but, I have to say this brew is worth while and don't hesitate to copy it. I cost me about $27 bucks at a homebrew store but, thats alot cheaper then the kits they put together and ten fold better.

Thanks for the recipe!

This looks crazy good, and I have almost everything I need to brew a batch, but my LHBS doesn't have Chocolate Wheat malt. Would any of the following work as a substitution?

CaraCrystal Wheat
Caramel Wheat Malt (Weyermann)
Midnight Wheat

This looks crazy good, and I have almost everything I need to brew a batch, but my LHBS doesn't have Chocolate Wheat malt. Would any of the following work as a substitution?

CaraCrystal Wheat
Caramel Wheat Malt (Weyermann)
Midnight Wheat

Midnight Wheat all the way.

Mine is 23 days old and fully carbed now. It's too easy to drink says my headache this morning!

Note to self: Need to make two batches next time.

Hypothetically, let's say the lowest ambient temp I can manage to ferment at is 72 degrees. What in the way of differences in flavor characteristics should I expect from the ideal ferment temp of 68ish?

Hypothetically, let's say the lowest ambient temp I can manage to ferment at is 72 degrees. What in the way of differences in flavor characteristics should I expect from the ideal ferment temp of 68ish?

Probably not much, if any. That isn't a drastic difference in temp, and the roasted malts will likely cover up any off-flavors.

I aged some for almost 5 months now and all the flavors are really starting to come together. This is an awesome cheapo extract stout recipe.

FINALLY got around to brewing this today. Just pitched the yeast and tucked it away to do it's thing about an hour ago. Looks gorgeous, smells great - can't wait to taste the final result! If nothing else, I made sure to take lots of notes, and I feel like my process really improved. :rockin:

Will do my best to remember to post an update once it's ready to taste. :D

Latest posts

Back