What if mash temp is to high?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamuraiSquirrel

Reaction score
I brewed a batch this past weekend.

I calculated the strike temp in beersmith and for some reason I ended up higher than I expected at about 162 after closing the cooler lid and waiting about five minutes.

So I opened the cooler lid and stirred my mash for a few minutes (can't remember exactly how long) until my temp dropped to the desired temp 152. Then started my 60 minute timer.

Is there any downside to erring slightly on the high side and letting it drop down to the desired temp? It seems easier than trying to adjust the mash temp up if you are too low.

Sounds like you did fine. Since grain is at room temperature it's going to bring down the temperature of the water & mash tun. Stirring for a few minutes is what you are supposed to do.

A higher mash temp will result in a less fermentable wort, thicker mouthfeel, and higher OG

And no, as long as you don't get it hot enough to denature enzymes (175 or so for several minutes) there is no harm in overshooting a bit and then lowering it.

A higher mash temp will result in a less fermentable wort, thicker mouthfeel, and higher OG

And no, as long as you don't get it hot enough to denature enzymes (175 or so for several minutes) there is no harm in overshooting a bit and then lowering it.

I don't see why the OG would be higher. However the FG would be higher, due to lower attenuation of the less fermentable wort.

I see no problem in starting on the high end (by a few degrees) and then dropping the temp to your target. A sweet technique to dropping temp quickly is dropping in a couple of ice cubes into the mash. (Note: start with 1 or 2 ice cubes per degree you want to drop)

Back